Hell Week!!

What is hell week?

Five and a half days of soaking, screaming, and exhausting military training. Running off of 4 total hours of sleep, Naval officers have put everything on the line to prove they are worthy of being a part of one of the eight seal teams. Since 1943, this week has been training America's most elite special forces operations unit. The Navy Seals!

The year is 1943, Adm. Ernest J. King - the commander-in-chief of the US. Fleet, ordered that Naval Demolition Units be formed. Months later training began at Amphibious Training Base in Solomons, Maryland. However, it was later moved to Fort Pierce, Florida. This new location was under the leadership of LTDP Draper Kauffman. The first of graduates were volunteers in the Navy and those who trained alongside the other SOF units; Scouts, and Raiders (SOF - Special Operations Forces).

Hell week was now an easy thing to get through. 76% of officers quit the training week, without even fully completing it. In interviews and documentaries with Navy Seals, they said, “Hell week wasn't about proving how strong or fast you were, it was about proving that you have the mentality to get through anything.” 

Navy Seals have rightfully earned their place among the top Special Operations Forces. From locating Bin Laden, fighting on D-Day, pushing Okinawa, and fighting for foreign freedom in Vietnam, it makes sense why the training program is so tough. Even looking at who is known as the toughest man alive (David Goggins), he has been through the seal program twice. He described it as one of the most challenging things he's ever done. 

In conclusion, the Navy Seals Hell Week has been going on for over 80 years and has supplied the US. Military with some of the best-trained officers that the world has ever seen. Standing in the face of battle from one war to the next and showing the rest of the world that America develops the perfect soldier to accomplish anything no matter the challenge or sacrifice, in order to protect the country that we love so much. 

https://www.nsw.navy.mil/NSW/History/WWII/#:~:text=MAY%20%2D%20JUN%201943,BUD%2FS)%20training%20classes.

navysealmuseum.org/about-the-navy-seal-museum/the-origin-of-the-national-navy-udt-seal-museum#:~:text=It%20was%20officially%20called%20“Introduction,and%20endure%20the%20same%20hardships.

Why do you think so many people fail Hell Week?

Would you like to be a Navy Seal?

If you had to be stationed on any operation what would it be and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think they fail hell week because of how exhausting it is hard and pushes them more then thye have ever been pushed so it ends up making them give up. Im not sure if i would ever want to become a navy seal but if i were to  do it i think it would be very hard to pass all of the test.

• I agree, I think that physical exaustion combined with the noumerous mental challanges send soldiers over the top when it comes to hell week. I have considered becoming a navy seal, but unfortunatly you can only live one life and I don't think that this is the one to become a seal. 

• I think they fail because they give up. I think it would be nice to be one but I do know that it takes a lot of work and dedication to get their. I am not sure what I would want to be stationed but if I could be a Navy Seal that would be high up on the list.

• I think most people fail during hell week because they have never been pushed that hard or they havnt ever had to do anything that hard. Most people fail because they think thier body cant handle it so they just give up.

• I would assume that you are right. People dont push hard enough until they are in the moment and at that point, it is too late. I agree, most of peoples bodies cannot handel the intense and mental challanges that come with hell week. 

• I think a lot of people fail Hell Week because of how mentally and physicially exhausting it is. I don't think I'd be cut out to be a Navy Seal if I had to undergo any of the requirements to get it. I really respect anybody who has the mental and physical strength to become a Navy Seal, as well as anybody in the military. 

• I believe so many people fail Hell Week because it is so mentally and physically draining. Personally, I would never be a navy seal but I really respect everyone who is. I honestly don't know what operation I would want, maybe I would want to be in the same operation my cousin was in.

• I agree with that. I use to want to be a navy seal, and I had so much interest in taking part in hell week. I thought it would be the ultimate challange to see what kind of person I was. I would love to be stationed in a marine/land operation.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker