Helicopter Parenting

Helicopter parenting is when a parent is overly focused on their child. The parents typically take too much time or effort into their child's lives or experiences.The reason parents can become this way is a natural feeling of wanting to protect your child. I think that this is understandable but if the parent is too protective or involved this can cause the kids to suffer. This is a  problem for the child because it could cause Anxiety or stress and can hinder their self-confidence. 

A 2014 study published by the Journal of Child and Family Studies found that over-parenting can be associated with higher levels of child anxiety and depression. This is also true for college students whose parents were also overly involved in their lives.  An over controlling parent can cause Self- confidence and self-esteem problems in children or young adults. This is because if the parent does everything for the child the child will feel like they aren't good enough or the parent doesn't trust them enough to do it by themselves.  If this happens then it can make the child dependent upon the parent and wont learn how to do things themselves. 

The positives of helicopter parenting is you can always rely on the kid to be done with their homework or show up on time and are prepared for their activities. This can help the child be caught up in school so the child doesn't have to worry about dropping grades. Helicopter parents tend to be more involved in their child's extracurricular or in school activities. Such as, volunteering for school functions or joining the PTA at school. 

I think that helicopter parents are hindering  their child by doing everything for them. I think that they are not letting their child go through the failures and positives in life. I think that once they get out of college they won't be able to do anything for themselves and will most likely end up relying on parent approval.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/helicopter-parents-do-they-help-or-hurt-kids-1095041

https://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/what-is-helicopter-parenting/

What do you think about helicopter parenting?

Does helicopter parenting benefit or hinder the child?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree and in the furture it will most likely cause seperation problems. 

• I think that helicopter parenting needs to stop. I think this because it is an invasion of privacy. I understand that parents are trying to keep their kids safe but kids need to live their life and get into trouble without parent guidance. Helicopter parenting hinders children because it makes kids think that everything is going to be handed to them.

• I agree that it is an invasion of privacy and can hindure them.

• I think that people shouldn't parent this way because if they do everything for their kid they might not even want or be able to go to college becasue they won't know how to take care of themselves. I think that helicopter parenting can hinder a child because they won't be able to feel independent and i think that's a big thing for people our age.

• I agree that they wont be able to do anything by themselves and that will harm them later in life. 

• I think that helicopter parenting can be very bad to the kids and not really helpful, Although there are some pros there is alot of cons. Overall it can make your child not wanna be around you and makes them less indepedent. Therefore, the child will not want to be around their parents very much. 

• I agree that it will soom cause separation in the kids.

•  I don't think that helicopter parenting is helpful at all but if you think about it sometimes the parent might not fully know that they are doing this. I definately think that it does not benifit the child because it causes anxiety and stress towards things. I also think it may be the kids fault in a way if they are really stuck to their parents.

• I agree that it could be the parents parents did it so without knowing they are.

• I think that helicopter parenting really hurts kids. It doesn't allow them to do things for themselves and experience failure. If the child doesn't want their parents involved so much, it creates a barrier between them and the kids try to push them out of their lives. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker