Has the internet made society better?

Many believe the internet has made society better, others believe it has worsened society. Those who think that the internet has improved society, say it's a much simpler, more accessible, and more immediate way to contact family, friends, and personal relationships. As well as being able to make payments online such as bills, online shopping, and banking. These individuals believe that social media is beneficial for society, it helps people grow deeper connections with one another. 

Sixty-four percent of the US population has stated social media has mostly a negative effect on society. Having access to social media can bring addiction and can affect our in-person communication skills. Extended screen time can result in health complications like insomnia, eyestrain, and increased anxiety and depression. The internet can cause changes to your brain, such as your memory processes and emotional behavior. Nowadays, the average attention span is five minutes. 

I believe social media can be helpful for some things, but overall it's not very effective. We as individuals don't socialize in person as much as we did when social media wasn't as popular. Most of us would rather communicate with other individuals through our phones rather than in person. 

Do you think social media has a positive or negative impact? Why? 

What's your most used social media app? 

https://www.thescientificteen.org/post/could-our-dependence-on-the-internet-negatively-affect-our-brains

https://www.internetsociety.org/internet/history-internet/brief-history-internet/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the interenet has made the world better and worse, there are a lot of bad things on every sopcial media, weather its bullying, posting something bad, etc. but social media is also how everyone communicates and share what they are doing or if they invite someone to a party or somethinf

• I think that the internet has made today's world a lot better. However, there are many cons that come with it. I think that overall the pros outbeat the cons in whether internet was a good thing for the world or not. 

• In todays world, I think social media has a negative impact on society. With any social media platform, people could cyber bully other people, make fun of them, pressure them into doing things, and changing who they are. It is not good. There are not nice people on social media. 

• I think that social media has a negative impact on society today. Although it can be helpful when it comes to communication and paying bills. It can also be very toxic and unsafe for children that are young and are able to get access dangerous websites. Apps such as TikTok, Instagram, and Snapchat are probably the most toxic social media apps to have. I have seen people getting shamed in the comments on TikTok and Snapchat and Instagram for no reason at all. Cyberbullying is a big issue in society today. It can get so bad that it could make someone want to hurt themself or worse even commit su*c*de. I believe that the problems with social media need to be addressed and paid more attention to so that this doesn’t happen. My most used social media app is probably Snapchat or TikTok.

• I agree with you. Social media has become a toxic platform. 

• I think that it's both bad and good. Social media can be good like getting new and other things that are important. But it can be negative as well because some people use it for cyberbullying and harassment. So in the end it is neither bad nor good for our society. My most use app is Twitter.

• I think the internet has a positive effect on society. It makes it much easier to learn new things, and stay in touch with loved ones. The negative of social media is that it causes us to be less social. I think as long as you aren't on social media all the time, you should be fine though. 

• I think social media has its pros and cons, like some people really like social media. While others sometimes stay away from it because some of the things people do are toxic. It's not just social media its the people in this world that are also cruel, because people don't get to know others instead they just judge them. My most used app is spotify because im always listening to music.

• I think social media has a negative impact on society. There is a lot of cyberbullying/harassment that happens on social media and it's harder for the problem to be solved. Social media has also been the core problem to suicide recently which is a huge issue. My most used social media app is probably Snapchat because that's how I contact my friends/family.

• it depends in some ways it has made life better but in others, it has made it worse. It's easier to look up things for school. but there is a lot of misinformation, going around. so it can be good but it can be bad it really depends on the person and their views. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker