Getting Rid of Grades?

There has been talk that Harlan Community might get rid of the grading system. We know that grades can be controversial. Grades allow teachers to know how their students are doing, and they can reflect on their own teaching. Grades also can be very stressful for students because it can be very difficult to maintain that perfect A for many students.

Let’s talk about the pros. The main pro for students is that they can allow students to feel less stressed and actually focus on the material they are learning. This would also lead to a lot less cheating at school. Students feel pushed to pass a class so they will do anything to pass, including cheating. Taking away the grading system would also stop grade inflation. The average grade in college was a C and now it is an A. So if you don’t have an A, you are below average.

Now the cons are, Grades are an easy system to look at. It makes it easy for educators to understand where their students are falling. It also helps students understand the work they have to put in to get their desired grade. Grades also allow students to take responsibility for their learning and put in the work. It makes a student feel good when they see a good grade they worked hard for. 

To conclude, I think getting rid of the grading system is not logical. The pros sound nice, but I believe they are truly unrealistic. Like how are you supposed to get into college without grades for the college to look at? It appears that an attempt at this will ultimately fail and we will have to resort to the grading system again.

Are you pro-grading or anti-grading system and why?

Do you think taking away the grading system would work why or why not?

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/eliminating-grading-system-college-pros-cons/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think having grades is good I just hate how they work. We need them to show teachers what we're struggling with, for future uses, and to keep us focused/more motivated. But at the same time when you look at our grades, we usually do really good, and then one thing you do bad tanks your grade. I just think it's messed up how it works. Your parents can see the overall score(your grade) but don't take into account all of the work you did before. Like one bad test score brought it down.

• I agree that the way grades are set up are messed u and that they need to be fixed.

• There are good and bad things to grades they show you what you need to work on and if you need to improve on stuff before the test. Grades can be a bad thing some parents don't like when there kids have bad grades. The kid could be trying the hardest but there grades might not be changing so there parents don't believe that they are trying.

• I agree that grades put a lot of pressure on kids when their parents are constantly looking at them

• In my opinion school would seem kind of useless if teachers cant grade you because grads are how teachers know what to teach you next. I completely that grades and school in general stress many students, but there's really not another way to say how much a students has leaned or what they should learn next.

• I agree that grades are needed to run the normal days of school and learning.

• I think we should get rid of grades. Some people don't get school as easy as others, people can be good at many things and learning shakespeare. We need to learn how to be entrepreneurs and no everyday follwers. In school you are graded on how good you can stay in the lines and finish an homework paper. But not how well you interact with people and learning how to live in the real world.

• I like your ideas but I still believe it is unrealistic to get rid of grades and that it would fail.

• I think grades are a good way to manage a school because it makes people work hard to achieve good grades, but sometimes it's also the only thing a person cares about. I don't know if taking it away would work or not, but they'd have to apply grades to our education by the time we get to college anyway.

• I agree that grades need to be applied at some point for college purposes

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker