Gender Identity

Gender identity is one's own way of identifying their gender, whether that is man, woman, neither or both. If you asked a group of people how many genders there are, you would get many different answers such as 2, 6, 14 etc. Personally, I believe there are only two genders male and female. There are many different reasons for this like roles, behaviors, and activities. Nowadays society at a given time considers it appropriate for men and women to divide labor for certain jobs. A person born with both male and female parts also known as intersex a disorder of sexual development, Majority of parent choose whether that child is a boy or girl.

There's a question going around right now and that is Should “gender identity” be added to anti-discrimination laws? 56% of Iowa said yes and that the government should do more to protect minorities from discrimination. The other 44% said no that the government should address gender identity as a mental health issue and provide funds for more research and care for those who need it, or that there are only two genders which are genetically determined not psychologically determined. I don't believe that gender identity should be added to anti-discrimination, because your born with either XX chromosomes or XY chromosomes unless intersex happens but in the end the baby is chosen to be a boy or girl. 

How many genders do you think there are?

Do you think gender identity should be added to anti-discrimination laws? 

https://www.isidewith.com/poll/2218747079/stance/2219296013

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/996319297/gender-identity-pronouns-expression-guide-lgbtq

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/gender-identity/sex-gender-identity/whats-intersex

https://www.bsuh.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/09/Gender-and-Sexual-Diversities-Briefing.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that there are 2 genders. In the far future, if our dead bodies are ever being tested, they are going to determine whether we are a male, or female. That's it. You just can't be both or, other, ect. 

• I think that there are only two genders, but people should free to identify as something else or nothing at all. Everyone has the right to pretty much do as they please, within reason, and identifing as somothing other than male and female is their own decision, and people should respect that. As for discrimination laws, I think that it would be hard to enforce since there are lots of people in the US and people are always going to speak their opinion, rather the other party likes it or not. 

• I personally think there are two genders. I feel In 100 years if scientists dig up our bones they will say this was either a male or a female. I do think it should be added to the laws.   I think that its ok for someone to identify however they want. 

• I believe that they are 2 genders, but I also believe that there is a difference between gender and identification. People can be born a man or a woman, but choose to identify as something else. And with that, I think that we shouldn't discriminate against those who choose to identify differently. 

• I agree with you for the most part, But i feel that people shouldn't be able to identify as animals or objects. There is a difference between gender and identification but in the long run they end up involving one other people have the right to think and identify how they want but I feel once you get to the point of identifying as anything like animals or objects thats where a line should be drawn.

• I think that there are only 2 genders and if other people think that there are more then they are just being dumb. But if they say there's more than two genders then they're gonna have to prove it becuase the last time I checked there was only two genders. I think that there shouldn't be any gender identy should not be added cause there's only male and female nothing else.

• I agree with you, if you were to go around and ask how many genders there are you would get many different answers and some people would even say they don't know because of all things that are talked about with this subject because of social media and other platforms.

• I think that there are only 2 genders not 3 not 4 not 1, 2 genders only no trans no gays. It just doesn't make any sence to have more then 2 genders. God made people man and female not cross bread not anything else man and female only. I think that gender identy should not be added you should either be a boy or a girl not inbetween.

• I agree with you, it doesn't make any sense to have more than two because when you look at someone new you think that they are either male or female based on what they look like and you don't think that they are something other than male or female.

• There are only two genders. People need to realize that you are eithe born a man or women. You cannot change your gender. Some may choose to identify as something different. Even if you identify as something different you are still what you were born as. There are two genders. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker