Fast Fashion. It Needs to Stop.

What is fast fashion? Fast fashion is a quick and large production of cheap clothing, that is often thrown away because of the material, or the matter of not wanting it anymore. Which causes more and more build-up in landfills. Fast fashion businesses are often cruel to their workers as well. Workers are required to put in 14 to 16 hours per day, seven days a week, and have verbal and sometimes even physical abuse from managers. Over 200 million children aged 5-12 have to work these cruel hours as well. Workers are often exposed to harmful substances while working without enough ventilation. Accidents and injuries are also common. Most fast fashion companies pay their workers little to nothing, around 20 cents per day. Fast fashion is very common in the U.S. Brands such as Nike, Shein, Victoria's Secret, and many many more are all fast fashion brands. They are popular because prices are so cheap so they are often clothing buyers' first choice. Fast fashion is very problematic and needs to be changed. How can we stop it? Well, the first thing you can do is buy clothing from more sustainable brands, such as Levis, Patagonia, Athleta, etc. They may be more expensive, but they last longer and are better for the environment. If you don’t want to go that route and spend more money, a thrift store is an option, or you could help by donating your clothes to them as well. I personally think fast fashion needs to be stopped or become better for the environment and workers. What do you think?

Is fast fashion a problem?

Do the workers need to be paid more?

What are you going to do to help?

How should we stop clothes from being piled up in landfills?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that fast fashion is a problem and I also believe that the workers should be paid more and have better work conditions. I think it is hard to change it because it has been around for years but trying to buy less clothes and not buy so much from fast fashion companies. 

• I agree, buying fewer clothes from companies is a great option, a lot of people buy tons of it at a time because it's so cheap or there are really good deals. But they end up throwing most of it away because they impulse buy and don't even like half the things they bought, they just liked the price.

• Fast fashion is defenitely a problem because the cons outweigh the pros. The workers need to get paid more and can. The companies they're employed to are big, famous companies with a ton of money. My family has donated some old clothes and since I have an older brother, me and my younger brother have some hand-me-downs.

• Hand-me-downs are a great option, I have 6 brothers and no sisters so I usually don't get hand-me-downs. It's like that for a lot of other people too, so then they rely on buying cheap clothing, which usually ends up being fast fashion brands.

• I think fast fashion is just a cheap way to buy clothes, and many people do not know the effects it has on the earth. Though it would be better to buy more sustainable clothing, many people do not have $50 for one pair of jeans. Honestly, I prefer to buy my clothes from second hand stores. I would rather buy clothes for cheap that are more sustainable.

• I do not think that fats fashion is a problem, I do not think that they need to be paid more because if they want then they can ask for a raise or leave and go somewhere else. I thin that people could give them to people in needs.

• I do think that fast fashion is a big problem. I feel like people should be prioritizing buying high-quality clothing that they can keep for a long time. I also think that thrifting and secondhand stores are good alternatives to fast fashion. I personally love to thrift, and I have found so many cute and unique pieces, that are also high quality. 

• I think that fast fashion is a big problem that people should be aware about. The workers are working under terrible conditions and the environment is effected massively, just so people can have lots of cheap clothes. I think that we as a society need to overthink how much and from what stores we are buying our clothes. 

• I agree, having a cheaper option is a nice advantage, but the cheaper stores need to learn how to treat their workers better. 

• I do think that fast fashion is a problem. People buy from places like those because those are the cheapest, and the non-fast fashion brands are expensive. It simular to healthy food. The cheap and surgary and unhealthy foods are the cheapest and sometimes its the only thing people can afford and the healthy food that is actually good for you is expensive. Its just like clothes, the brands that are the cheapest are the ones causing all the polution in landfills because people will buy it then it will break or be out of style. The expensive brands have the good quality clothes and are more sustainable. I think that buying second hand is a good cheap option to buy decently good clothes. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker