Fast Fashion. It Needs to Stop.

What is fast fashion? Fast fashion is a quick and large production of cheap clothing, that is often thrown away because of the material, or the matter of not wanting it anymore. Which causes more and more build-up in landfills. Fast fashion businesses are often cruel to their workers as well. Workers are required to put in 14 to 16 hours per day, seven days a week, and have verbal and sometimes even physical abuse from managers. Over 200 million children aged 5-12 have to work these cruel hours as well. Workers are often exposed to harmful substances while working without enough ventilation. Accidents and injuries are also common. Most fast fashion companies pay their workers little to nothing, around 20 cents per day. Fast fashion is very common in the U.S. Brands such as Nike, Shein, Victoria's Secret, and many many more are all fast fashion brands. They are popular because prices are so cheap so they are often clothing buyers' first choice. Fast fashion is very problematic and needs to be changed. How can we stop it? Well, the first thing you can do is buy clothing from more sustainable brands, such as Levis, Patagonia, Athleta, etc. They may be more expensive, but they last longer and are better for the environment. If you don’t want to go that route and spend more money, a thrift store is an option, or you could help by donating your clothes to them as well. I personally think fast fashion needs to be stopped or become better for the environment and workers. What do you think?

Is fast fashion a problem?

Do the workers need to be paid more?

What are you going to do to help?

How should we stop clothes from being piled up in landfills?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I am very exhausted and frustrated with how cheap clothing is made nowadays. I feel like more and more of my clothes are of terrible quality, making me not want to wear them after a few months. In the past, people used their clothes for years and kept them for younger siblings or their children. A Shein top will not last decades for my children to wear it. Shein is infamous because of its cheap prices, but even stores that price their clothes more expensive have quality issues like Shein. Forever 21, Target, and Hot Topic especially are declining in quality while their prices are about the same. Not only that but workers are exploited to make this cheap clothing. I think a good way for individuals to help is to wear their clothes as long as they can and give back to others by bringing their clothes to a clothes drop-off box or thrift store instead of throwing them away. If we do that, people who would only afford cheap Shein clothing could have more clothing options.

• I agree, it seems like "older" clothes you purchase at a thrift store last way longer than clothes you would purchase now, even though they are already worn and were made way before the new clothing.

• Fats fashion seems to have become a very big problem over the past decade. The workers need to be paid much more because they work so hard, are treated badly, and are working in an unsafe environment. I think that it needs to stop before it comes to a bigger problem that we can not stop. There are serval places where you can take your clothing items instead of throwing them out and them getting built up in landfills. 

• I agree, the workers deserve to be payed way more, especially for all the danger they're put it, and for the harsh long hours they work everyday.

• Yes, I do think that fact fashion is a big problem that isn’t paid attention to enough the workers are being very under paid and that needs to change. I think that a way that I could help is to find other places to purchase clothes online and maybe even go to a thrift store and find high end clothing for very cheap. Yes, we do need to find other places to put unused clothes like donating them to thrift stores or even giving them to people in need of clothing and other stuff.

• I agree, it's so simple to take your clothes to the thrift store, but a lot of people just don't want to do it so they throw the clothes away instead and they pile up in the landfills. It's sad to see that the Earth is getting ruined over cheap clothes.

• I have never heard of fast fashion but I agree with you. I believe that it needs to stop. I think that we need to start saving our resources.  Before too long we'll run out of resources and we will not have anything to wear anymore.  I think that we should take our clothes to something like goodwill rather than throwing them out.

• A lot of people haven't ever heard about fast fashion, and I feel like it needs to be talked about more. It's a big problem, especially in the U.S. and we need more and more people to be educated on it so we can try and stop the problem.

• I think that fast fashion is a problem. However, there are cute clothes and accessories. Some poeple may not be able to afford the high-end, new fashion that everyone is wearing. Fast fashion is one of thier only options. 

• I agree, a lot of younger girls, college students especially, like to lean towards fast fashion brands because it's a cheaper option and a lot of young people don't have tons of money to spend on cute clothes to "stay in the trend". 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker