Drug addicts: Do they need help or punishment?

Addiction is a brain disease. Repeatedly taking drugs or alcohol can cause your brain to change. Addiction is a progressive disease if not treated the addiction will just get worse. Causing them to be irritable, sudden weight loss, slurred speech, and small or enlarged pupils. People who are arrested for drug related crimes get at least 10 years of incarceration. They still have access to drugs in prison if they want them badly enough.  

I believe that addiction should be treated instead of punished. Nobody should have their parent, guardian, or child taken away because of a brain disorder. I know what some of you are going to say, “it was their choice”, “they made the choice to do it”. It’s not that simple drugs and alcohol are an addiction, it may start out with someone choosing to do them. Over time if they keep using them they can get addicted to it in less than a week. Once they decide that it's not good for them and need to stop they will try but it will not always work that way. 

What do you think should drug addicts be treated or punished?

If they should be treated, why?

If they should be punished, why?

https://www.pyramid-healthcare.com/addiction-treatment-or-punishment-which-works-best-long-term/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I beleive that people with an addiction to drugs or alchohol should be treated. Addiction is very strong and can be hard to fight off. Throwing someone in prision for addiction related crimes does nothing but take up time in their life. They can still have access to drugs and alcohol in jails and prision, so they aren't getting any better. 

• I think that drug addicts should get help and treatment first, then once they have received help and have become sober for a long enough time. After that period of sobriety, time is over, then they should be punished for their actions. Drug addicts not only hurt themselves but their friends and families too. 

• I think that they should be helped as much as possible but at the same time it is there own fault that they started drugs. It sounds easier than it is but just don't do drugs it will solve your problems. Drugs ruin lives and you can't do much after you get messed up on them. 

• I think drug addicts should first get help, and then once they are stable and mentally good, then they should get punished. Most drug addicts are using drugs that are illegal in some states and they are not only causing harm to themselves but to their family and friends.

• I think drug addicts should get help but also punished for what they have done to themselves and im sure their family and friends. They start getting addicted then their family tries to get them help by sending them to rehabs and it doesnt work unless they try to get better, if they dont then they get punished.

• So true! I think addictions should be treated. Using drugs and alcohol multiple times you may not even notice your addicted. Sometimes it comes outta no where. If they were treated rather than punished I think it would have better results and parents or children will get their family memeber back after like rehab or just simple therapy. Some people would love to stop doing drugs or drinking but it's gotten into their brain that they need it to feel something and they can't stop it.

• I think drug addicts should definitely get help but also be punished in a certain way. I understand it was their choice but some people don't have anyone to go to and just need some support. If they happen to get back on a certain drug then they should probably be punished for sure.

• I think they should be treated that way they can still have access to their families and loved ones. When they get punished if they have younger kids the kids arent gonna be able to have much time or contact with their parent and that parent isnt going to be able to be their to watch their little one grow up much. If you think about it 10 years is a long time and you can miss a lot of milestones in someones life. Its not worth it to have them get punished, treatment should be enough of a punishment for them. 

• I think they need to not feel as ashamed for asking for help because I feel like that is the main reason that they don't get the help they need to quit and stay sober. I also should be treated and that it shouldn't be punished for there addiction.

• I think they need both. They definitely need help but if they see they can keep using drugs and doing harmful things it doesn't make it okay for them go get away with whatever. However, addiction is serious and they could use serious help on how to stop using drugs.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker