Does Social Media Contribute to Teenage Suicide?

Social media is a big part of lives today. From tiktok to snapchat, many teenagers find themselves spending most of their time on social media. Within social media, there is cyberbullying. Kids have been subject to harrassment and bullying from kids in their school. Online mesages, videos, photos, or anything that can make someone feel bad and down about themselves all can lead to one subject. Suicide is the second-leading cause of death among people ages 10-34. Though there are ways to prevent teenage suicide, there is no way to tell if someone is being bullied until they attempt. 

As a teenager, I believe social media does contribute to teenage suicide. Many kids are bullied through social media apps like snapchat, tiktok, or instagram. Though bullying is common in teenagers everywhere, there will be a chance to save someone you know. Bullying happens often in our school. I have been bullied, others have been bullied, and there are bullies. Nobody known what is going on in someones life. No matter how much you dislike or despise someone, bulling is not the answer.

Do you think social media contributes to teenage suicide? Why?

Reminder: You are never alone. Call or text 988 for help.

https://jedfoundation.org/mental-health-and-suicide-statistics/

https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/health-of-women-and-children/measure/teen_suicide/state/ALL

https://www.nami.org/Your-Journey/Kids-Teens-and-Young-Adults/What-You-Need-to-Know-About-Youth-Suicide

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I feel like social media is a big part of why people wanna kill themselves. People are so mean these days and think it funny to make fun of someone on social media and not know what it can really mean to the person who is getting bullied. Snapchat is one of the bigger ones that this happens on. 

• Snapchat is the worst app of all. People can make fake accounts and bully peopel and get away with it all the time.

• I believe that social media has a huge impact on what teens do and shouldn't do for example suicide.  Social media has gone along ways in good and it bad, but I feel it does contribute with teenages that suicide. Teenagers need to learn how to use socail media correctly. 

• There are ways to stay safe online. There are many reasons why a teenager may commit and there are ways that they can get help. Bullying is a problem on social media and I agree on how it can be correlated with kids not using social media correctly.

• I feel like social media does contribute to a lot of suicides. I think that because if someone on tiktok or instagram gets bullied and gets told to do a lot of stuff they will probably do it because they don’t like to get told the stuff all the time. So that is why I think that social media contributes to a lot of suicides.

• There are countless times I have seen tiktok comments were they bully the creator. Online bullying sparks a lot of reasons why there are so many people who try to commit.

• I think that social media does contribute to teenage suicide. I think this because today teens tend to not have any common sense and let anything influence them. If teens were to get off of social media the world be a more peaceful place.

• I agree that it would be easier if we just forgot about social media. The most peaceful people did not have social media and they lived to make a legacy. Many kids learn from behavior of their parents in this age, and it hurts to know how bad adults act and then will let their kids get away with it.

• I honestly feel like yes and no I feel like yes because people can say mean things and be rude. b ut you can fix that I never feel like suicide is the answer it is like running away from the problem instead of removing blocking reporting or telling someone how you feel whether it is your mom, concealer, or any other kind of person.

• I agree that there are many ways to go about stopping bullying instead of comitting. There are some cases where kids try to get the help they need, but it may not stop.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker