Does class size affect productivity?

There is a debate between teachers and students whether productivity increases or decreases depending on the number of students in a class. 9 in 10 teachers agree that smaller class sizes are more effective than bigger size ones. According to research, students perform better in smaller classes. The most famous study of class size reduction took place in Tennessee in 1985. They decided to reduce the amount of students from kindergarten through third grade. It resulted that students in classes from 13 to 17 students surpassed scores compared to classes from 22 to 25 students. 

Some benefits of small class sizes are: greater classroom engagement, higher attendance, less distractions and it can allow teachers to give a more individual and personalized attention. Smaller classes also help students build more confidence and friendshipness with other children in the class as interaction is easier between them.

Some cons about smaller classes are: the children do not learn how to interact with a larger group of people. When doing presentations, most students show they are confident to do it in a smaller group but when having to deal with a bigger class all their confidence is lost. This could have a negative effect in the future when having to interact with large groups of people. 

I believe that class size can affect students' productivity and effectiveness. Having less people in a class can increase effectiveness and make students more engaged. However, I think there should be any day of the week where classes enlarge their number so students can learn how to deal with bigger size groups of people and interact with more people. 

Do you think smaller classes are more effective?

Do you think parents should get to choose if they want a bigger or smaller class for their children?

Sources:

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2022/6/10/23162544/class-size-research#:~:text=Research%20suggests%20that%20students%20perform%20better%20in%20smaller%20classes.&text=There's%20little%20debate%20among%20teachers,would%20strongly%20boost%20student%20learning.

https://ncte.org/statement/why-class-size-matters/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do think that smaller classes are more productive than bigger classes. I think students can focus more and there are not as many people to get distracted. I enjoy smaller classes rather than bigger classes because I feel as if I can get more done and focus more.

• I think the same as you. It is easier for students to focus in smaller classes and easier to not get distracted.

• I think that smaller classes are more productive because it is fewer people to get distracted by.  I also think it is a lot harder to get off-topic if you have fewer people in classes. And I think that most all classes should have the same amount of people so everyone is staying in the same spot.

• I agree that it is not as easy to get distracted in a smaller classes than in a big one so that definitely affects productivy and effectiveness.

• I believe classes with fewer students are more effective. Your teacher(s) can give the students the correct understanding of what they are learning. With bigger classes, this is harder. The parents should get to have a say in whether their kid is placed in a bigger or smaller class. But overall the decision should be made by the student. They know what they can and can't handle. 

• I think the same as you. Smaller classes can help give students give the correct understanding of concepts and give them a moe individual attention.

• I think the smaller the class the more you have one on one so you can understand the things being thought more than usual. having a bigger class means more people off topic and less time to learn and understand the material. 

• I agree that class sizes affect productivity. I think this because, in a smaller class, the class is less likely to get off topic. Whereas, a larger class is more likely to get off task and slow down the lesson. I think that there should be around the same number of students in every class so classes can stay at the same place.

• I completely agree with you, smaller classes are in general easier to handle and more productive.

• in my oppinion yes, smaller classes are way more effective. I can say this for experience because in my last school there just used to be 8 students in my class and they were all girls, i mean it was a privite school too i dont know if thats the reason why it can be as well, But we used to be so productive and we used to love to be productive because we were a small class and the teacher was really pacient with all of us. I think parents should not choose if they want their kids to have a small or big class because it would be a hot mess 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker