Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?

I believe that curfews keep some teenagers out of trouble. Statistics show that kids who have a curfew are less likely to get in trouble with law enforcement and their parents. Most cities have a curfew in their town, this can benefit the town but most parents believe having their own curfew set for their child is more beneficial. This leaves the child with a responsibility to get home before the curfew or they will be punished by their parents. While curfews can keep kids out of trouble many people believe that they don't fully prevent crimes from being committed at late hours. 

Other statistics state only 15% of crimes committed by younger students happen after 10 pm. But even if the government were to set a curfew they wouldn't be able to keep every kid out of trouble. I think setting a curfew from your parents would be way more effective than it being over a whole town or state.

Some kids will also see the curfew as a challenge and want to stay out late just to break the law. Which would start even more trouble. Most crimes committed are from kids that go driving around all night and never go home. Most kids that do this lie to their parents about where they are going so their parents don’t know they're staying out all night. Even now kids stay out later than their curfew and still never get caught.  

Do you think curfews should be later? 

Do you think they should just not have curfews? Drivers Are Freaking Out - Guide to Painless Police Stops

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think we should have cerfews, it keeps most kids out of trouble. However some cerfews should be later, no matter how late they set cerfew, there will always be a kid that will commit a "crime". 

• i agree

• I think sometimes curfews are good. It can keep people out of trouble and staying out to late. But sometimes kids don't follow threw with them and thats why they could possible get introuble. I think your parents should set a curfew time for their child not the government. 

• I agree, i think they get in more trouble with their parents if they are past cerfew

• I think that they should have curfews, but I think that they should be later. So many people like to hang out with friends outside and cant do that when there is a curfew. I think that with a curfew it helps some people stay safe and make good decistions.

• I agree, some kids dont need to be driving super late either tho

• I think parents should set a curfew for their kids due to the fact it teaches them how to plan. I think the latest curfew a kid should have is 11 pm. However, that could change as they get older. If kids do get into trouble with the law or with there parents they will get puniched. I think having a curfew overall really reaches kids about the responsibilities they have. 

• I dont agree, i think if the parents set cerfews it should be whenever they think maybe you have to be home by 11 but a lot of kids like to stay later than that. I think 1230 is a good time possibly later than that, I dont think a cerfew makes a kid responsible I think YOU have to be responsible to be a good kid and just not mess around.

• I think that curfews are an important part of someone's routine. Knowing when they need to be home allows people to plan ahead and do what needs to be done. I also think that curfews set by parents are good because it is usually earlier than the city or town curfew, which helps teens not get in trouble with the law. 

• i agree, it just depends on how the kid is

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker