Did Helen Keller really fly a plane?

Helen Keller is a historical figure who was found to be blind and deaf at a young age. As she grew up, she learned to cope with her disabilities, and eventually recieved her doctorate, wrote six books, and some say she flew a plane. Some people however, think that it's all just a hoax. 

Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880, and when she was just over a year old, she was sick with Scarlet fever which left her blind and deaf. The doctor that diagnosed her also sent her a teacher named Anne Sullivan to teach her how to speak and understand what people say. Anne stayed with her for the rest of Helen's life. Helen learned how to read braile and to understand people tracing letters on her hands. Eventually, she learned how to "lip read" by putting her fingers on people lips while they spoke to her and a hand on their throats to feel them talk. 

In 1904, she graduated from Radcliff college and was the first deafblindness to earn a degree with a bachelor's degree of arts. When she was 23 years old, she wrote her first book. It was about being blind, which was not very common for people to learn about back then. After that, she went on to write five more books about her faith and the stories of her life. In June of 1946, Helen flew an airplane from Rome to Paris over the Mediterranian Sea for twenty minutes. This was very unsual becuase not only was she blind and deaf, but women rarely used airplanes to travel, much less to fly them. She had only ever ridden as a passenger once in her life, but still had the courage to get in the cockpit and fly the plane. 

I personally think that Helen Keller was real becuase there are pictures and eye witnesses to confirm what has been said. I think it is very unusual for a blind and deaf person to achieve all of the acomplishments Helen Keller did, but not impossible. Some people also have conspiracies that she was never real, because there is no way any of these things could happen back then. 

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Anne-Sullivan

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-did-helen-keller-fly-a-plane

https://sites.aph.org/hall/inductees/keller/

Do you think Helen Keller was real?

Do you think she really did all these things?

What would you do if you were blind and deaf? Would you strive as much as Helen Keller?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yeah, I think that Helen Keller is really but some of the things she did were not real. No, I don't think she did most things without help or guidance. If I was blind and deaf I don't even know what I would do probably not much cause I wouldn't know what I was doing. 

• I don't think Helen Keller was real because blind and deaf can't fly a plane without someone guiding them through the entire process. I do not think she did all of these things. If I was blind and deaf I would do nothing every day because to me there is noting you can do as blind and deaf.

• I disagree becuase there is so much information about her, and it would be hard to prove that all of it is fake. I do agree that she might not have done everyhting that has been said, because it would be so hard for someone to do, especially with those disabilities. 

• I don't think Helen Keller was real. There is no way she did what everyone says she didl If you are blind and deaf how do you even learn anything to start. There is no way you'd have a clue what anything is like in the world, so I think she's fake.

• I don't think she was.  I don't think she did what people say she did. If you are blind and death their is no way you would be able to say water. If I were blind and deaf their is no way I could say anything becuase I would have no clue what anything is like.

• I do think Helen Keller was real but about all the things she did isn't too convincing. Mainly for the face that she was blind and deaf which does make it hard to learn things in life especially when you are deaf and blind from a young age. If I was blind and deaf I would have a really hard time in life and would be struggling a lot and I would never be able to strive as much as Helen Keller.

• I do think Helen Keller is real, because there are books, websites, and eye witnesses from her life. I think she did some of these things, however I don't think it is possible for a blind and deaf person to fly a plane. If I was blind and deaf I would go to the right school, but I would never try to fly a plane.

• I agree, I think she was real because there are so many details about her, and some people that knew her personally had talked about her. 

• I don't think Helen Keller was real, I can't believe that someone deaf and blind could read, write, and fly a plane. If she is real its hard to believe that she did all of those things. If I was blind and deaf I think I would probably be really lazy and do nothing.

• I disagree becuase there is so much information about her, it is hard to say she wasn't real. I do agree, though, that it is very hard to believe she did those things because it is so crazy.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker