Daylight Saving Time: is it Necessary

Daylight saving time is the process of moving the time forward one hour on the second Sunday of March. Then, nearly eight months later, on the first Sunday of November, the time is set back an hour. This process has always been used to get more use out of natural sunlight each day, however, its history is quite complex. Summarily, Benjamin Franklin suggested this practice in 1784 to limit the usage of candles. Daylight saving time became more popular during World War I to save fuel, eventually spreading throughout the world.

There are many advantages to daylight saving time. One of the greatest advantages is the environmental benefit which has many contributing factors. Firstly, daylight saving time extends evening daylight, consequently, less electricity is used for light. Another benefit is a lower rate of car accidents due to sunlight during later hours of the day. Lastly, because of daylight saving time, people are more active in the evening which allows for more spending. Overall, setting clocks back and forward one hour helps our world in many ways which are often overlooked when viewed at face value.

Daylight saving time also has many disadvantages which should be considered. The first and most obvious is a lack of sleep as individuals adjust to new schedules. A difference of one hour can initially create difficulties falling asleep and waking up which is quite inconvenient. This inconvenience is also relevant for certain industries, especially those who work outdoors. To summarize, daylight saving creates disadvantages that are not extreme, yet they affect almost everyone.

Many contrasting factors make it difficult to decide whether we should have daylight saving time. I believe we should continue to implement this practice in our lives for numerous reasons. The first of which is the severity of the advantages. For example, daylight saving time prevents car accidents which saves lives. The final reason I support daylight saving time is the difficulty of removing a practice which has lasted for so long.

Do you think daylight saving time is necessary?

Should we continue to use daylight saving time?

What other problems does daylight saving time create?

https://www.colorado.edu/coloradan/2022/11/07/history-daylight-saving-time 

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/circadian-rhythm/daylight-saving-time#:~:text=However%2C%20experts%20suggest%20that%20long,ends%20and%20Standard%20Time%20begins.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think daylight savings time is necessary. It only confuses people and messes up their schedule and sleep cycle. I don't like when it gets dark super early during the winter time though. Daylight savings can also cause more traffic accidents too.

• I also dislike how early it becomes dark, and I agree that daylight saving time messes up schedules. I metioned traffic accidents during my writing, but I did not do extensive research, so I am curious about the change in rate of car accidents caused by this.

• I've never thought this change would be necessary for the time to be changed it just makes things more difficult for people who work outside all day and need all the sunlight they can get. I dont think we should continue daylight savings time it just causes more problems then solutions.

• I mean for me I dont care but I hate it when it gets so dark fast I get out of school an hour later its already dark. I dont think we should but if has a good purpose i guess keep it. problems that it creates is having no daylight.

• I don't like how it is really dark it is when its only 5 o'clock. I don't like how we have to change our clocks twice a year. I feel like we should keep doing it because we have always used it. I kinda like how bright it is in the morning it makes me feel more awake.

• I don't think that it is necessary because it just causes problems throughtout the year. Sure, soemtimes it is nice when you get an extra hour of sleep, but then again, you also lose one hour of sleep later in the year. I think that it would just be easier to not do it at all and not make people have to change their clock twicer a year. Overall, I don't find it very fun and I think that it is pretty pointless.

• I do agree that it causes many problems, and I think that it causes far more problems than the average person notices. The significance of the problems created does vary, but there are many reasons to stop the use of daylight saving time.

• I don't think daylight saving time is necessary. It confuses a lot of people when the time either skips or adds another hour. It was something that was made to make farming and stuff easier because they couldn't see out, but now they have lights to help them see.

• I don't think that daylight savings time isn't neccesary it just takes an hour away from everyones lives being able to work more and get more done during the day. It gets dark so early you feel like your ready to go asleep by 7 o'clock 

• I completely agree with your opinion on early darkness affecting your life. This is because I also feel like it is far later than it is when it gets dark so early. I can see why you think daylight saving time is unnecessary, but it does come with many advantages.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker