Cursive or ASL: Which Should be Taught in School?

As of today, only 21 states require students to learn cursive in school. Some states being Alabama, Florida, Indiana, Texas, Virginia, and many more. Iowa does not require the teaching of cursive in school.

Why is there a big stigma on teaching cursive in school? There has been scientific studies that show learning cursive increases writing speed and improves the ability to read. Although people can improve, there can also be a possibility where the writing is not eligible because they wrote too fast. Teaching cursive is very time consuming for parents to help at home. Also, it takes away valuable learning time for main subjects. If you do not practice enough, you can easily forget how to write in cursive. The only thing that may improve because of cursive is your signature.

Just like learning cursive, learning ASL also takes time from the main subjects. Though it can take time, you can learn ASL while learning a subject to associate words with what you are learning. By learning ASL, we can communicate with a wide variety of people. We can communicate with deaf people, mute people, and children who do not know how to speak or write yet. ASL means American Sign Language. Therefore, some signs can be different in other languages. ASL can help improve hand-eye coordination and helps interpret body language better. The only downfall is that you have to consistently work on ASL to remember it.

In my opinion, I believe that schools should teach ASL instead of cursive. Then, we can all learn how to communicate with people who are deaf or hard of hearing. I remember a lot more ASL than I do cursive. I learned cursive in elementary school and I do not remember a thing. My signature is just a bunch of random squiggles that make sense if you squint your eyes.

Should ASL take the place of cursive in school?

Would you be willing to learn ASL?

Cursive Sites:

https://mycursive.com/the-14-states-that-require-cursive-writing-state-by-state/

https://www.aop.com/blog/the-pros-and-cons-of-cursive#:~:text=%2D%20It%20can%20be%20time%2Dconsuming,than%20print%20and%20create%20confusion.

https://www.memoriapress.com/articles/top-10-reasons-to-learn-cursive/

ASL Sites:

https://www.berlitz.com/blog/benefits-learning-sign-language

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that we should be taught both cursive and ASL. I think that because a lot of the older generations write in cursive it helos kids and people read whatever it is that is in cursive. Also, when you go to the bank, or have to legally sign a document, you should write in cursive. Teaching people cursive can help with that. ASL can help us talk to everyone who can't hear, and it is a good thing to have. I think that ASL should be optional, but I think that when you are a kid, around 3rd or 4th grade, they should teach you cursive. Both of them help you when you are an adult. 

• I believe that ASL and cursive should be taught in school. Cursive could help students in the furter when they have to sign things and ASL could help for communicating with others that can't speak or hear. Learning these things could be very helpful in certain situations in the furter or other things.

• I feel that asl should be taught as a requirement cursive is not as crucial as asl many people are deaf but almost no one uses cursive anymore.

• ASL is used to talk to a wide variety of people and it will help in the future to get better jobs. It's like being bilingual because you can know how to speach a teachnical different language.

• I strongly belive ASL should be taught in school. We hardly ever use cursive in school or out of school ASL would be way more benifishal. If ASL it tought insted of cursive I would learn it. It will be a much better thing to learn because there will be more opertunity tou use it. 

• I agree that it should be taught in school. It can help with many jobs and you will be able to talk or translate for people.

• I beleive that cursive should be offered and all schools for students. It would help with there future in having to sign there name on things. I think if students want to take the class they can but for students who dont shouldn't have to take it.

• I believe that cursive is really only used for signatures which only appear in official documents. This could easily be taught by parents. A lot more people can communicate by using ASL which can be helpful in just about any job.

• I think that it should be offered as a class for people wanted to learn, but on the other hand, some people would rather use their limited classes to get better prepared for college. If you would like to take ASL that's fine, but I dont think it should be required. 

• I hope lots of people would take the class if it was offered because it can help communicating at a bigger level. I would rather have classes be offered instead of required so we can prepare for college, but there are some people that will benifit from learning sign language in their future.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker