Could Jack and Rose both have fit on the door?

On March 31st, 1909, The construction of the titanic started. It took over one year to fully frame the titanic and more then two years just to build the interior. Finally, it took off on April 10th, 1912. It was a successful four days into the voyage when the ship hit an iceberg at 23.6mph on April 14th at 11:40. 

The Titanic was designed to hold 32 lifeboats but only 20 got put on the ship because it made it look less cluttered. This would prove to be a huge mistake when only 1060 people could be guaranteed safety. Because there was a shortage in lifeboats, it was women and children first. Many rich men pushed their way to the front and snuck their way onto life boats. The ship sank fast, in less than 3 hours. 706 people died in the tragedy called the Titanic, 75% being women. The RMS Carpathia, which was 3 hours away, came to rescue the stranded survivors so it still took a few hours for them to hear about the tragedy and come to get them. 

James Cameron released The Titanic film 85 years after the disaster. It was super successful and still is today. It was the most expensive film made at that time with a budget of $200 million. Everyone believed the movie showed the tragedy really well and because of the budget it was made really well. The only disagreement was at the end of the movie, Jack puts Rose on the door and people think Jack could have fit too and he would have saved both of their lives. Although these are fictional characters and were not actual people on the Titanic, people were still annoyed with Jack. Just because the door was big enough, weight is also something to think about. If you re-watch the movie you'll see him trying to get on the door and it kinda tips a little. 

I think Jack could have fit on the door just fine, but the weight factor would be an issue. However, I also think he could have climbed on any other piece of furniture floating around and could have gotten out of the water that way. 

Do you think  Jack could have gotten on the door?

Have you ever seen The Titanic?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, this has been an on-going argument and I think most people are always fight that Jack could have fit. Ive seen a few tests done just because of how popular the topic is. 

• I really enjoyed the history you added into this. I have never seen the titanic because it seems like a lame romantic movie and I don't like those. Maybe Jack could have fit on the door but I'm not sure.

• Thank you, there is romance in it but its also a great historical type of movie about the titanic and I think its super interesting to see the inside view of things. 

• I have never seen the movie but I have seen bits of it and I'm going to have to see it one of these days. I watched the part where Rose was on the door and by what I saw he could have fit on the door. But like you said the weight factor would be a problem.

• I've never watched the Titanic, but from what you said, I think Jack could have gotten on the door. Or he could've found another piece of furniture, I know the ship was quite large and fancy so I'm sure there was a lot of loose furniture and other things in the ocean he could've floated on. But I'm guessing they purposely did that for the excitement of the movie.

• The Titanic is really good, I recomend. Also, I agree, they added it at the end to add the more dramatic ending and it was exciting to see how it worked out in the end. 

• I think Jack would have fit on the door. Rose could have moved over, but I guess there could be a issue of weight. I mean the door could have sunk but they could have at least tried to fit Jack on the door. I have seen the Titanic. It is such a sad, but great, movie. 

• I agree, I think Jack could have at least tried. I also think The Titanic is a really good movie and I think it captures exactly how the people would have acted, but its also sad. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker