Could Jack and Rose both have fit on the door?

On March 31st, 1909, The construction of the titanic started. It took over one year to fully frame the titanic and more then two years just to build the interior. Finally, it took off on April 10th, 1912. It was a successful four days into the voyage when the ship hit an iceberg at 23.6mph on April 14th at 11:40. 

The Titanic was designed to hold 32 lifeboats but only 20 got put on the ship because it made it look less cluttered. This would prove to be a huge mistake when only 1060 people could be guaranteed safety. Because there was a shortage in lifeboats, it was women and children first. Many rich men pushed their way to the front and snuck their way onto life boats. The ship sank fast, in less than 3 hours. 706 people died in the tragedy called the Titanic, 75% being women. The RMS Carpathia, which was 3 hours away, came to rescue the stranded survivors so it still took a few hours for them to hear about the tragedy and come to get them. 

James Cameron released The Titanic film 85 years after the disaster. It was super successful and still is today. It was the most expensive film made at that time with a budget of $200 million. Everyone believed the movie showed the tragedy really well and because of the budget it was made really well. The only disagreement was at the end of the movie, Jack puts Rose on the door and people think Jack could have fit too and he would have saved both of their lives. Although these are fictional characters and were not actual people on the Titanic, people were still annoyed with Jack. Just because the door was big enough, weight is also something to think about. If you re-watch the movie you'll see him trying to get on the door and it kinda tips a little. 

I think Jack could have fit on the door just fine, but the weight factor would be an issue. However, I also think he could have climbed on any other piece of furniture floating around and could have gotten out of the water that way. 

Do you think  Jack could have gotten on the door?

Have you ever seen The Titanic?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that they both could have fit on the door because they could have eaqually distributed the weight so that they could both survive. I have seen the movie and its pretty good not my kind of movie though. But yes i think if rose moved over they could have both survived.

• I agree, I think it could have worked out if they just had tried. I also agree Rose could have moved over because she was laying in a way that took up the whole frame. 

• I think Jack could of fit on the door because there was room, but it is a movie and they try to make it more sad and hype, But I have never seen the movie because It dosent sound good and Im not into those kind of movies.

• I definitely think jack could have gotten on the door if it would have held both of their weights. And even if he couldn't, he could have grabbed onto anything else that was floating in the water. I have never seen the titanic movie because I just don't really want to. 

• I agree, I think the door would have been able to hold both of their weights. Howver, even if it wasnt I agree that he could have also grabbed something else. 

• This topic was so heatly debated that the director of titanic, James Cameron, decided to put it to rest by proving that jack could not fit no the door with her.  He got actors that weighed the same as Jack and Rose and when put on the door the door sank. proving that jack could not have fit on the door with her. 

• I have to disagree, in the test, both people were wearing life jackets which would mess with the outcome. Also, the door , or really the door frame, was thicker and made of better material in the movie. The tests also show they both could have fit on it, weight would be the only problem. 

• I think he could have fit onto the door, but the weight was a factor. If we are being honest and he did make it, we would still be having this conversation, except it would be people complaining about the weight factor. 

• I think he could have fit, but the weight of the two would have either tipped it over or made it sink slightly into the water. Even the door flipping over just once could have been very very damaging to Rose who was finally out of the water. If it was dipping slightly into the water, they would probably both freeze. The main point about the ending was that Jack was sacrificing himself for Rose. It's less about the logistics.

• I agree, The movie was kind of a romanic film so the dramatic ending was very fitting. However, I think even  with logistics I think he could have gotten on or found something else to get on. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker