Child Marriages

Approximately 8,600 children are getting married each year, about one and five girls are married before the age of 18. Child marriage can affect many things such as education as the couple are no longer focused on school and other useful/important life benefits as they are only focusing on they’re marriage, honeymoon, and things like that, that should’nt be discussed until after 18. (In my opinion).

It can also be argued that it would lead to more violence not just between the couple, but others that may be “affecting” the outcome of the couple such as trust issues thinking the other would cheat on them and not having as much trust in others and your significant other also leading to the loss of friendships just because of the fact that you’re married and not wanting to lose that one person or relationship meaning you care about nothing/nobody else.

It could also lead to severe mental health problems such as pregnancy at a young age, which can not only affect you but your child and significant other. There has been many legislation and programs to help raise awareness towards this issue, hopefully causing the number of child marriages to decrease significantly. Being married at a young age could also result into being isolated and causing you to be at a higher risk of physical and sexual violence.

Do you think child marriage should be okay?

Is there enough awareness on child marriage?

Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to get married?

https://borgenproject.org/tag/global-issues/ 

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+are+some+health+issues+that+can+come+from+child+marriage&rlz=1C1GCEV_enUS997US997&oq=what+are+some+health+issues+that+can+come+from+child+marriage&aqs=chrome..69i57.10881j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&surl=1&tbs=li:1 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that you should not be able to marry people under the age of 18 because you are still young and you are going to make a lot of mistakes in your life and if you marry someone when you are young they might not be the same person as they were. I think that 18 is still young to get married though but it should be over the age of 18.

• Child marriages just seem disgusting to me because i think a lot of the time its the parents that force there kids to marrie this one person most likely because they are wealthy. people getting married under 18 should not be allowed in my opinion. I also feel like there is not that much awareness for child marriages beacuse you will never see it on the news.

• I Believe that they should both be 18 before they get married if they are both minors they can't do normal things like an actual married couple. Most minors don't have a lot of money so they might make their parents pay for it .

• In my opinion child marriage is not okay in any circumstance. It is really bad and most of the times females have no consent on it.  They get pregnant by force and most of the times their lives get ruined.

• I do not think that child marriage should be allowed. It is honestly just messed up and people who are really young do not know that life has so much more to offer. Also if they get prgnant at a young it age it can affect their mental health or they could die from giving birth because they are so young or their body is so small.

• I think that underage marriage should not be allowed. Most people when they are around the age of 18 don't really know what they want to do and where they want to be, if you are already married by then you have the chance of ruining exploring and figuring out what you want to do.

• Child marriages are typically never consensual, so they should of course be outlawed. My grandma was married at 18, but she did so because she wanted to. The marriage was not arranged. If the marriage is arranged and children are forced to marry someone their senior...well, then I completely disagree with them.

• I definitely think that child marriages are not too bad although to me, they feel kind of rushed...I feel like if you really love someone and if they really love you, they'll wait until you at least finish high school. And I think that I could be allowed just at a decent age like maybe 17 or 16 ish.

• Underage marriage should not be allowed. Getting married that young is bad for them because they might end up depending on other people for the rest of their lfie. Getting married that young could also lead to teen pregnancy which is also bad for them. 

• Underage marriage should not be allowed. I think that getting married as a minor will cause them to become dependent on others for the rest of their life. Not to mention pregnancy at a young age can cause permanent damage to the child's body. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker