Child Labor Laws

Child labor laws started in 1938. However the first time that child labor laws were brought up was in 1813. Child labor laws were first created too not put kids health at risk. Child labor laws are in place too keep kids safe and make sure they get a good education. In the U.S. these laws were put into place to stop businesses from having young kids work for them. The child labor law was named The Fair Labor Standards Act. This law sets the minimum age for work at 14 and limits the number of hours kids can work so many hours a week and depending if school is in session or not in session the hours vary. During school hours 14 and 15 year olds can only work 28 hrs a week and not before 7 am or after 9pm. 14 and 15 year olds during summer can work 40 hrs a week. 

These laws weren’t made just for how many hours kids can work. They also control what you can and can’t do during your job. Under the age of 18 you’re not allowed to operate heavy machinery. 14 and 15 year olds are not allowed to operate anything hotter than 140 degrees. Each state can have their own rules but still have too follow by the federal laws. 

The last time the child labor laws was updated was on May 18th, 2016. It set overtime regulations. 

It's not just about rules and regulations. It's about protecting kids. By making sure kids aren't overworked and are able too do school work, child labor laws help them get better education but still teaching them about having jobs. By having a job when you're a teenager it prepares you for the future. 

I think child labor laws are good. It provides safety and making sure we aren’t overworked with work and still having too do school work. But by having a job now it just prepares me for the job I get in the future. 

Do you think child labor laws are good?

Do you have a job? 

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/child-labor#:~:text=The%20federal%20child%20labor%20provisions,provisions%20also%20provide%20limited%20exemptions

https://www.marquette.edu/cgi-bin/cuap/db.cgi?uid=default&ID=6440&view=Search&mh=1#:~:text=This%20lack%20of%20education%20brought,reading%2C%20writing%2C%20and%20arithmetic

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think child labor laws are good because they protect kids and let them have a good balance between school and work. Letting kids get jobs safely benefits them by preparing them for their future jobs without risk. Child labor laws also prevent businesses from making kids work too much or work unsafely. 

• I think child labor laws are good because without them business or like factories will will hire kids for no money at all. There proabaly would be some kids that work at a very young age and could get hurt. Ya I have job but usally on work in the summertime. 

• I think child labor laws are good becuase they protect kids. I wonder about the laws on hours, becuase I worked a job when I was 14 and 15 where I worked passed 9 on Thursdays and really late on Fridays. I don't think I was scheduled past 9 on Thursdays, I just had to work longer. Maybe that's why.

• I feel that child labor laws are good becuase they teach kids how to provide for themselves at a younger age, but child labor laws can be enforced too much and can end up pushing the child too far. Yes, I have a job, I work at Scooters.

• I think child labor laws are changing a lot for the better and the worse. Do you agree? I do have a job and I do not get off to late at night. I think a good enviornment is really good for a job setting that you want to stay at.

• I think that child labor laws are good because that way kids are able to receive the education they need and so they can have a good childhood. It is not good to overwork kids because then it can disrupt their learning and their mental growth. 

• Yes I think they are good because it teaches kids for life ahead of them. Yes, I have a job at fareway.

• Yes, I think that child labor laws are good because without them factories will hire enraged kids to do work for no money at all. Some kids would have to start working at a young age. No, I don't have a full-time job but I help Olingers and Forever Gree. 

• I think child labor laws are important becase they help kids keep a balance for what they need to get done in life. Kid's have a balance of school and work that needs to stay equal. I have a job at Sorensen Equipment and I think my time managment with that is good.

• I think child labor laws are important for kids to balance their education while having a job and being able to save money for their future. I think it is importnat to keep this balance steady so you can save for your future and have time for school and homework. I do have a job, I work at Scooter's.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker