Can you be Successful Without a College Degree

With the high price of college, many kids wonder if it is worth going to college. Kids are pushed with the fact that they will never be successful without a college degree, but is this true? There are several successful and wealthy people that do not have a college degree. Along with this there are many jobs that require no college degree, that pay better than jobs that require a college degree.

Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, and Bill Gates are just some of the very successful people that never received a college degree. Steve Jobs was the co-founder, CEO and chairman of Apple. When Steve Jobs died he had a net worth of 10.2 billion dollars. Mark Zuckerberg is the co-founder of Facebook and the Meta platform, and has a current net worth of 47.2 billion dollars. Finally, Bill Gates is the co-founder of Microsoft and is currently worth 102.1 billion dollars. These men are just some examples of several people that didn’t receive a college degree, but still went on with their life to be very successful and wealthy. They did this by being smart with their money, and being patient with the process to success. 

Many people who don’t receive a college degree become successful by inventing a new product or becoming an entrepreneur, however, you don’t have to invent something to be successful. People can work an ordinary job but still become very wealthy and happy. One job that fits this description is an electrician. Someone can receive the education they need to become an electrician by working with an experienced electrician or by completing a simple apprenticeship. This person can go on to start their own electrical company. However, there are risks to starting your own company, and the business owner must be careful of their spendings to make sure they don’t spend more than the income. Philadelphia Technician Training Institute explains that you can earn a six figure salary as an electrician with a lot of hard work and dedication. This goes for several other trade jobs, as they are in high demand, but not many people work these jobs. Other jobs that include high paying salaries without college degrees include a pilot, real estate agent, wind turbine and oil rig worker, and many more.

All in all, it is possible to earn a big quantity of money and be happy without a college degree. It will take a lot of hard work and dedication though. If a student does not go to college, they do not have to worry about paying for college and can start making money right away. There are many examples of people who have become successful without a college degree, and they motivate more people to be like them. I believe that students should not be told that they won’t be successful without a college degree, for the reason that there are many opportunities to become successful and make large amounts of money without a college degree.

Do you believe you will be more successful with or without a college degree?

Do you think society pushes a college education, explain?

https://ptt.edu/blog/can-you-make-6-figures-as-an-electrician/#:~:text=As%20the%20world%20ultimately%20depends,of%20the%20electrician%20certification%20programs.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• The fact the nearly half of people that go to college live paycheck to paycheck is very interesting. A large part of there expenses that keep them from having some extra cash is paying off all the college debt they have.

• In my opinion, you can be just as successful not going to college.  Sometimes, people go to college and may end up doing a job that makes them a lot of money. However, this may not be their favorite choice of job. In this case, it is a matter of, "Would you rater make more money or be happy?" Society does push for students to go to college. We can see this by the fact that the government is trying to pay off all the college debt. To me this is unfair because some people have not gone to college in the past because they couldn't afford it. Well if they knew it was going to be free, maybe they could've went anyway. Personally, I think that the society wants everyone to go to college to basically get corupted by the libral profesors.

• I agree, free college is unfair for the people who didn't go to college. Another reason it is unfair is because the people who didn't go to college will be paying for someone elses college through taxes. I also agree that society pushes college so people will be corupted by the mostly libral profesors.

• I feel like for certain job areas it is important to get higher education, but if you don't want it, you really don't need it. There are so many people who are billionaires, or just successful in general who haven't gone to college. You don't need a college degree to do something with your life unless you go into a certain profession that requires it. 

• I think some teachers push college aducation onto students because they belive you need college for a better education, but don't get me wrong they are right. The more knowlodge you have the more you know. But, I belive you can be successful without college look at Tom Hanks, he is a succsesful actor and filmmaker.

• I believe that going to college is a good investment in yourself because it may open up more job opportunities. Even while going to college, you may learn better time management which will translate to your life after college. Statistically, people are more successful when they have a college degree. When you go to apply for a high-paying job that requires a lot of knowledge, one of the main things that they will look at is a college degree. I think society does push a college degree because a lot more jobs are requiring them. You can also major in job-specific degrees.

• Even though it might be easier to get excepted into a job with a college degree, the person only has so many jobs they can choose from without going out of the field of work they got their degree for. Therefore they have less oppurtunities than a person without a college degree, unless they waste tens of thousands of dollars and go in a field their degree is not for.

• I think you can be successful without a college degree, you might just have to work harder. A lot of the bigger jobs require or at least prefer a college degree. So I think if you dont want those kind of jobs or are willing to work to get where you want then no, you dont need one. Thats also probably the reason society and your parents push a college bacause they want you to immedietly go and get a high paying job. However, if thats not what YOU want theres no reason to go through with it. 

• I agree, I think not going to college is better for people who aren't sacred of hard work, and are not scared of the process it takes to be successful. I alos agree that college is right for some people, but it is not the right path for others.

• i belive you can be more succsessful without a college degree as farmers are successful when the year is good and they sell that grain. also some people go to trade schools which in my opinion are better as some carpenters can make more money yearly than a teacher. i do belive that education pushes a college education which i feel isnt good.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker