Can Money Buy Happiness?

Some people say happiness is directly correlated to money, others say that you can be happy without money. Some studies have shown that money can buy happiness and other psychologists have shown that money doesn't buy happiness. What do you think?

One side of this argument is that money buys happiness. In an experiment by PNAS, they studied how happy people felt when they had extra money to spend over 3 months. After the 3 months were over, the families recorded higher amounts of happiness. 79% of people believe that if they had more money they would be happier. Money can buy luxury items but also prevent stress in many households. Stress can be caused by bills and payments that are due. Money can bring in items that make us happy and free us from problems that cause stress and fear. Many can agree that money can buy happiness but only to a certain extent.

The other side is that money doesn’t buy happiness and that happiness is earned not bought. Money can buy material items that make us happy but money itself can’t buy the real feeling of happiness. Studies have also shown that people with very little money or no money at all can be truly happy too. Their happiness doesn’t depend on money and expensive items. 

In my opinion, I think that money can buy things to make you happy but I don’t think it can really buy happiness in the end. I don’t think that material items and money can buy and give you the real feeling of happiness. Although there are experiences that people can buy to make them happy. 

Do you think money can buy happiness?

Can you be happy without money? 

Source 1 

Source 2 

Source 3

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think money can but happiness but it can help with a lot of things. As you said, material items and what not cannot make you truly happy. I think living simply is just fine and money is just a bonus if you have it whether you work for it or had it handed down.

• Money can buy happiness up to an extent. Happiness is not an object so it is impossible to buy, however, with money you can buy things that make you happy. Such as a truck or car, house, or several different things. For some people their family is what makes them happy, and you can't necessarily buy your family.

• Yes money can buy happiness becuase there are some people out there that really depend on money to make them happy. People using there money to buy things that they really don't need to have.

• My opinion is that money can bring happiness to a certain extent. For the first year or two. I would be happy to give money and help my family. But if you were born into money and you get everything you wanted, definitely you can be upset. You can focus on finding love or having pets/ family and experience amazing sights with friends and family. You can be happy

• I think that money could buy happiness depending on what you buy with it and not stupid stuff that you don't need but you could also be happy without money like hanging out with family and friends and just spending time with people.

• You can definitely be happy without money, but having a lot of money is nice. Sure, you can't buy the emotion of happiness, but you can get stuff that can make you happy. Even if the happiness from these things doesn't last forever, you still have joy for some amount of time. So yes, money can buy happiness.

• i belive money can buy happiness it just deppends on how much money you have and can use like you can use it for a vacation which could bring happiness. i belive you do need money to be happy because if you dont have money for a vacation then you cant be happy or if you want to play a video or a bored game you need money to buy that so you cant be happy unless you have money.

• I do think money can buy happiness. Yes you can be happy without money, but when your looking at people or families, you see a lot more people with money happier than those without. There are many people that don't have what they need and money can buy that.

• I think that people who do have money tend to be happier but I think that happiness comes from people and things that money can't buy. 

• I think that money buys happiness up to a point, because if all you focus in life is getting money then you will not live a happy life. But if you have no money and are poor then it is hard to find happiness because you are always worrying if you have food to eat or clean clothes or whatever. I think that I wouldn't be happy if I was poor like that.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker