California Mandating Later School Start Times

California passed a law mandating that middle and high schools start later in the day. Saying that middle schools can start no earlier than 8:00am and High schools can start no earlier than 8:30am. Sleep expert Wendy Troxel says that teenagers go through a phase were our melatonin doesn’t start kicking in until around 11:00pm making it so we can’t get to sleep early and get the recommended 8 to 10 hours of sleep that we need. The law won’t go into effect until 2022 so schools have time to make changes to their schedules and be ready for the changes.

See story here

Questions: 

Do you think that our school should start later in the morning than it already does? 

What do you think would be some benefits of starting school later in the morning? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that our school should start later. I don't think students will stay up later becasue they would want to take advantage of getting more sleep. I also think it will help with students grades since they are able to focus better with more sleep and it would help with physical and mental health. 

• I totally think our school should start later in the morning! A lot of kids would be very thankful if the school day started later in the day. Students would have more time at night to do their homework, and still be able to get good sleep. Some kids have to stay up late doing their homework, which then affects their sleep schedule.

• I agree that our school should start later on in the mornings. Because if we can get more sleep it will help out with students staying awake and focusing during classes. And if we have a lack of sleep it can cause physical and mental health issues which I think our school should be conserned about. 

• I think that it should start later, because some people dont wake up until 7:30 or around there. Some benifits of this would be that there are kids who have lots of homework and also are involved in sports, and dont get done with homework or anything else, until 12 o'clock or around there.

• I agree with you that our school should start later in the mornings. It would allow students to get more sleep at night so they have more energy and are able to concentrate better in class and that could help them get better grades because they are able to focus more. 

• I'm sure many Californian students greatly appreciate this law, but for our school I don't think it would help much. I know we should get a recomended 8-10 hours of sleep, but with the school starting later, that will only push homework back later in the night, causing students to get less sleep. A benefit of starting school later in the morning would be that students would be able to get more hours of sleep, but then again it's better for your body to wake up earlier than later.

• I believe that school should start later. Some benefits could be more sleep. Teens don't get a lot of sleep due to extracurricular activities, and coming home just to do tons of homework. WIth only 2 day weekends to catch up on school work. Lots of teens also have jobs meaning less time to get school work done, causing them to stay up late to do it. Having no sleep, means students are tired at school and can't give their full effort. I think having school later could improve grades and better overall school experiences.

• I agree that our school should start later in the mornings. I agree that students don't get as much sleep as they should because of work, sports, band, homework, ex. Which causes them to not be able to focus in class and then their grades might go down because they can't focus properly and learn in class as good. 

• Maybe like a hour later than it does right now because then we would be able to get more sleep before we had to go back to school. I think that more people would be more energetic than normal and that more people would want to come to school.

• I don't think that our school should start later. I think this because I feel like it would be an annoyance to a lot of people because school would have to go later and some people already get home late enough. The one benefit I see is that people would get more sleep. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker