BLM

Black lives matter riots started in April of 2020. When George Floyd was killed by a policeman after breaking the law. Which caused many African Americans to start rioting by lighting stores on fire and killing people. They did this to prove a point that the police force targets black people. They also say that the most African American killings are by policemen. Which is very far from the truth. In 2020 only 8% of African Americans were killed by the police whereas 83% were killed by African American gangs. 

The riots went on for many months and hundreds of innocent people passed from them. Many businesses were also shut down or lit on fire. The riots started in Minneapolis where George passed. George was on the ground because he bought a pack of cigarettes with a fake bill. Between 1997 and 2005, Floyd served eight jail terms on various charges, including drug possession, theft, and trespass. Goerge was arrested 23 times, attempted to steal 3 cars, and many more violent crimes. So when people keep saying he was innocent, they're wrong. This  didn't mean he deserved to be killed. But the police did have a reason to look out for him and it wasn't because of his skin color it was because he had a bad criminal record. 

My opinion on this is that the police had a reason to put him on the ground. They didn't have to kill him but I understand why he didn't lift his knee. Because many criminals say that as a lie to get their knee off them then they are able to run. I think it's ridiculous that the media still calls this a peaceful protest and not a riot. This was anything further than a peaceful protest. People were lighting stores on fire with hundreds of people in them. Breaking into people's homes and shooting them. Lighting the American flag on fire and many more. 

In A Riot's Ashes: Minneapolis Business Owners Support Protesters, But Wish  It Would've Gone Differently

Do you agree with the BLM riots?

Do you think this was a riot or peaceful protest?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have to disagree with some of the points you mentioned. First, Geroge Floyd's criminal record doesn't justify the way he was treated by the police. He was unarmed, stated several times that he cannot breathe and was scared. Even bystanders noticed that George Floyd wasn't okay but still the police men kept his knee on him. Black people are more likely to be killed by police than white people. Racial injustice does exist. The Black Lives Matter movement is very important to point this out and to create more awareness about racism. Furthermore, I'd like to mention that 93% of the protests were peaceful. The "violent" protests are much more likely to stay more in people's minds. In some cases, the police also used tear gas or other chemical substances. I don't want to say that there wasn't violence which was started by the protesters but you need to see the whole picture. The violence and vandalism is mostly the exception. Overall, the movement did so much good and educated a lot of people. We need to raise our voices for Black lives.

• I do agree that black lives do matter but i think people couuld have been civil and with out the violence. I think  they could have done a peacful protest about the whole thing. But i do think it was bad what happened to geroge floyd.

• Agree, I think they could have gone through the whole protest calmly. 

• I belive the BLM riots were not needed as they could have just help peaceful protestes instead of breaking into stores which gives them more of a bad reputation as alot of people see the african americans as crimanals. Most of the time it wasnt even african americans protesting most of the time it were white women.

• I agree, part of the people breaking into stores were white women thinking they need to get involved.

• I think the BLM riots were petty and didn't prove anything. They were not peaceful.  Destroying buildings and harming people do not solve problems. The thing that is really annoying is that BLM supporters hate the fact when people say that all lives matter.

• I agree, thats like how Kayne West made merch that says white lives matter and many black people are saying hes not actually black.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, them causing more damage just proves a point that the police should keep and eye out for them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker