Banning transgenders in sports

Over the past week the Kentucky legislature has passed a ban to prevent  transgender women from competing in women's sports. The lawmakers who voted for this ban were protecting the fairness in athletics and protecting girls sports. Thursday afternoon the bill was passed in a 26-9 vote with only a few democrats and republicans voting against it. This has caused many uproars with the lgbtq civil rights organizations. They say that this policy will put trans children’s mental health even more at risk. 

Kentucky is not the only ones who have passed this policy, 19 other states have. This has not happened in Iowa yet. I think it should because if Iowa or any state lets transgender Women compete in women's sports we will be overtaken. For example, Lea Thompson before she transitioned to a woman was ranked 462 in the men's division. After she transitioned she was 1 for girls. This was a big change for the women because instead of going against other women they now have to compete with a biological man. So now not even a woman can win women's swimming. The trans rights activists say that Lea is taking estrogen and is losing muscle and becoming more like a woman. Although Lea might be taking estrogen it still takes over 3 years to fully lose a little bit of muscle and they cant be working out for the first year. So Lea Thompson is still working out and not losing any muscle from transitioning. Kentucky made this policy based on the fact that they do not want their Women's sports to be taken over by transgender, or biological men. 

In my opinion I think that every state needs to have this policy. Or the states should have individual trangender male and female sports. I think that the more men transition to women and compete in our sports the more women's sports will be taken over by biological males. ITs already happening. For example women of courage award was presented by Jill Biden to democratic legislator Leigh Finke. She was a transgender woman. So not even women can win women of the year. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/21/leigh-finke-transgender-legislator-wins-usa-today-/

https://nypost.com/2021/12/28/official-transgender-swimmer-lia-thomas-is-destroying-the-sport/

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/ncaa-title-for-lia-thomas-is-joke-with-biological-women-as-punchline-hardly-a-laughing-matter/ 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-hormone-therapy-cause-muscle-loss-20090929106#:~:text=Muscle%20loss%20(and%20an%20increase,on%20the%20lookout%20for%20osteoporosis.)

https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/sports_participation_bans

Should transgenders compete in their transitioning sports?

Should transgenders have their own category to compete in and was Kentucky right for passing that policy?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that we need to have this policy. I believe that transgenders should not be able to change their gender. If they're biologically female, then they can play in women's sports. If they're a male, then they can play in male sports. It should stay that way.

• I agree that they shouldnt be able to compete in womens sports and kentucky was right for passing the policy.

• I do not think that transgender people should be able to play in sports with the gender they transitioned to. Especially in womens sports. Males are naturally more athletic and have an advantage over females so it is not fair for them to compete together. 

• I agree that they should not be able to play in the sport of the gender they trasitioned into.

• Not to be mean at all, but I think that the "original gender" that they were, they should be in that gender of sports. If you "were" a man, then you should be in the mens sport, due to athletic abilities that people are born with. 

• I agree that males are bown with a different Althletics than women.

• I do not think that it is right for people to be transgender at all. Therefore, it should definetly not be acceptable for these trans people to play sports. I do not think that there are enough transgender people to have their own category for sports and I also think that if there was one, it would promote the idea of being trans. We shouldn't promote being transgender because, deep down, everyone knows that it's not right.

• I agree that transgender people should not be able to compete in their transitioning sport.

• I don't think transgender people should be able to play their transitioning sports. It's unfair to that gender. As you kind of stated if a man is transitioning into a woman and tries to play a women's sport, they would most likely overpower the woman. I think it would be a nice idea to have their own sports category, so they can still feel comfortable and play as their "new gender" but also not overpower the rest of the team.

• I agree that 100% the males would dominate us and it isnt fair. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker