Banning transgenders in sports

Over the past week the Kentucky legislature has passed a ban to prevent  transgender women from competing in women's sports. The lawmakers who voted for this ban were protecting the fairness in athletics and protecting girls sports. Thursday afternoon the bill was passed in a 26-9 vote with only a few democrats and republicans voting against it. This has caused many uproars with the lgbtq civil rights organizations. They say that this policy will put trans children’s mental health even more at risk. 

Kentucky is not the only ones who have passed this policy, 19 other states have. This has not happened in Iowa yet. I think it should because if Iowa or any state lets transgender Women compete in women's sports we will be overtaken. For example, Lea Thompson before she transitioned to a woman was ranked 462 in the men's division. After she transitioned she was 1 for girls. This was a big change for the women because instead of going against other women they now have to compete with a biological man. So now not even a woman can win women's swimming. The trans rights activists say that Lea is taking estrogen and is losing muscle and becoming more like a woman. Although Lea might be taking estrogen it still takes over 3 years to fully lose a little bit of muscle and they cant be working out for the first year. So Lea Thompson is still working out and not losing any muscle from transitioning. Kentucky made this policy based on the fact that they do not want their Women's sports to be taken over by transgender, or biological men. 

In my opinion I think that every state needs to have this policy. Or the states should have individual trangender male and female sports. I think that the more men transition to women and compete in our sports the more women's sports will be taken over by biological males. ITs already happening. For example women of courage award was presented by Jill Biden to democratic legislator Leigh Finke. She was a transgender woman. So not even women can win women of the year. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/21/leigh-finke-transgender-legislator-wins-usa-today-/

https://nypost.com/2021/12/28/official-transgender-swimmer-lia-thomas-is-destroying-the-sport/

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/ncaa-title-for-lia-thomas-is-joke-with-biological-women-as-punchline-hardly-a-laughing-matter/ 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-hormone-therapy-cause-muscle-loss-20090929106#:~:text=Muscle%20loss%20(and%20an%20increase,on%20the%20lookout%20for%20osteoporosis.)

https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/sports_participation_bans

Should transgenders compete in their transitioning sports?

Should transgenders have their own category to compete in and was Kentucky right for passing that policy?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not that transgender should be able to switch their gender overall but if you say you are trans your not. Which if you not then you should not be able to play in a guys sport or a girls sport if you opposite genders. I do not think that they should have their own category. 

• I agree that people should not be able to switch their genders. 

• No, I think that if you are transgender you should play with your biological gender. I think that all states need this policy. I say they have their own sports league. I feel as if it won't cause so much disruption in a sport. They will be playing with people of their kind and non-transgender people will not have to worry about whether their playing against the opposite gender or trying to be like their gender. 

• I agree that all states should have this policy, I think that kentucky was right for passing it. 

• No, I personally don't think that transgenders should be able to compete in sports for the gender they are transitioning to. I think this because I don't think it's fair that biological males can compete with women, they have a major advantage. 

• I agree that they would have advantages if men competed in womens sports. 

• I think it would be good to stop transgenders from competing in sports. I believe that transgenders have an unfair advantage in the competition.  I do not feel that it is fair that these male athletes can go play with women. These men still have testosterone in their bodies.

• I agree, even if they are taking estrogen to be more like a girl they will still produce and have testosterone in their body.

• I think that if people think they can switch genders, then they shouldn't be able to play sports. They can make their own league. I think that would be cheating and give them more of an advantage. If a man switches to a 'girl', then they have more of an advantage becuase they are truly a man. It would be like a man versus girls. 

• I agree that if they wont get mental health to help them then they should make their own league to play in.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker