Banning transgenders in sports

Over the past week the Kentucky legislature has passed a ban to prevent  transgender women from competing in women's sports. The lawmakers who voted for this ban were protecting the fairness in athletics and protecting girls sports. Thursday afternoon the bill was passed in a 26-9 vote with only a few democrats and republicans voting against it. This has caused many uproars with the lgbtq civil rights organizations. They say that this policy will put trans children’s mental health even more at risk. 

Kentucky is not the only ones who have passed this policy, 19 other states have. This has not happened in Iowa yet. I think it should because if Iowa or any state lets transgender Women compete in women's sports we will be overtaken. For example, Lea Thompson before she transitioned to a woman was ranked 462 in the men's division. After she transitioned she was 1 for girls. This was a big change for the women because instead of going against other women they now have to compete with a biological man. So now not even a woman can win women's swimming. The trans rights activists say that Lea is taking estrogen and is losing muscle and becoming more like a woman. Although Lea might be taking estrogen it still takes over 3 years to fully lose a little bit of muscle and they cant be working out for the first year. So Lea Thompson is still working out and not losing any muscle from transitioning. Kentucky made this policy based on the fact that they do not want their Women's sports to be taken over by transgender, or biological men. 

In my opinion I think that every state needs to have this policy. Or the states should have individual trangender male and female sports. I think that the more men transition to women and compete in our sports the more women's sports will be taken over by biological males. ITs already happening. For example women of courage award was presented by Jill Biden to democratic legislator Leigh Finke. She was a transgender woman. So not even women can win women of the year. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/21/leigh-finke-transgender-legislator-wins-usa-today-/

https://nypost.com/2021/12/28/official-transgender-swimmer-lia-thomas-is-destroying-the-sport/

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/ncaa-title-for-lia-thomas-is-joke-with-biological-women-as-punchline-hardly-a-laughing-matter/ 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-hormone-therapy-cause-muscle-loss-20090929106#:~:text=Muscle%20loss%20(and%20an%20increase,on%20the%20lookout%20for%20osteoporosis.)

https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/sports_participation_bans

Should transgenders compete in their transitioning sports?

Should transgenders have their own category to compete in and was Kentucky right for passing that policy?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that all 50 states should have this policy. 

• I don't think that transgender should be able to play transitioning sports. I don't think that that would be fair for girls at all. You could be the best of the best and still lose because technically you are playing against a man. I think that they should be banned and if they wanted to compete they need to compete in there born gender.

• I think that trans people should be able to play the sport they want to play its been proved that when taking hormones depending on how long you have been on them they can limit your "natural advantage" so I think that they should be able to play the sport they want to.

• I don't think that trasgenders should be able to compete in the sport they transition to. This can be benefitial for transgender people because they normally get better places but it is harmful and not fair for the others athletes. I think transgender athletes should compete in the gender they are born as because that is how their body is built and is not fair for other people.

• I agree that it benifits transgender females.

• Transgenders should not be aloud to be in the wrong sport, if you have men gentatils you are  in men sports. If you are a Women with Women gentatils you are in Women sports. The man who transfered to a female to go and win a medal was absoulte wrong for that.

• I agree that if you are a  biological male you should compete in male sports no matter if you want to be a female or not

• I do not think that transgender guys compete in girls' sports. I think that it is completely unfair for biological males to be in the women's sports category. I also do not think that there should be a separate category for transgender people. They should have to go in the category that they were born as. 

• I agree that it is unfair to womens sports to have biological males compete.

• I do not think that transgenders should be able to compete in their transitioning sport. I think that it would be super unfair for all of the other players. A man who transitions should not be able to compete with biological females. For example, the one swimmer who transitioned to female and won.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker