Artificial Turf Vs. Natural Grass

There has been a lot of debate on whether natural grass or artiifical turf is better in lawns, playing fields for sports, etc. There are definitely pros and cons to both. Artificial turf is increasing in many places especially football fields, baseball fields, and even some yards. We will look at the pros and cons of both so you can decide which one you think is better or which one you prefer.

We will start with artificial turf. To begin, artificial turf can be expensive to install and isn't biodegradeable. It can also trap bacteria in warm and wet climates and it can get very hot on warm days. There is less give in artificial turf as well. This causes many knee and ankle injuries and many turf burns. However, turf requires very little maintenance and eliminates fertilizers, pesticides, etc. It also always looks healthy and is ready all year round which helps people in super dry climates. It can last a long time and there are many varieties of color and types of turf as well.

Natural grass has many pros and cons as well. First off, you can't beat the look and feel of a nicely mowed lawn or field. Growing grass is cheaper than turf and it is also better for the environment. There is more give on natural grass causing less injuries in sports the playing surface is cooler. Some cons of natural grass is that it needs to be mowed, watered, fertilized, which can take a while and be difficult to maintain. It also can't be used all year round.

I personally like natural grass better. I like taking care of it and putting a little extra work in and think it looks better. However, turf is nice because it can be used all the time.

What do you prefer?

Have you ever played on turf?

Does turf or natural grass look better to you?

Sources

https://mybackyardsports.com/uncategorized/turf-vs-grass-pros-and-cons/

https://www.angi.com/articles/artificial-grass-pros-cons.htm

https://theathletic.com/3647564/2022/10/04/nfl-injury-grass-artificial-turf/    

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you. You can defienitely move faster on turf but grass is softer. Both have good and bad qualities and I don't think it matters a whole lot at the high school level.

• I personally like turf better. Turf is far more predictable than grass which helps with running and jumping. This can help reduce injuries and limit risks. Artificial turf may cost more initially, however, I think it could be much more beneficial than regular natural grass on a field.

• I agree it is more predictable but many NFL guys prefer natural grass because studies show there is more injuries on turf than natural grass.

• I prefer natural grass, but turf is a lot easier to play soccer on because turf doesn't get muddy or bumpy. The reasons I prefer natural grass is because when it is taken care of properly, it looks better, and it is softer. Also, if the turf has the rubber stuff that Merril and other football fields do, it's super annoying because it gets in your shoes. The rubber can also hurt more to slide on than dirt.

• I think we should keep natural grass for lawns artificial grass is better for sports but other than that it looks tacky and gross. so other than sports, we should keep the natural grass why get rid of something that does no harm? 

• I think that turf is better for sports. I don't usually play sports on the turf, but I think it is better because I feel like it is less uneven then grass is. Turf also is easier to take care of which can be helful for schools. I think natural grass is better for lawns though. 

• I think that truf depnds on how goodd the turf is/ how fine the turf pcies are but I personally like grass more than turf, it all just depends on how good the grass field is or how good the field is. I think that all people would agree with this.

• I agree. I have played on different types of turf and there is definitely better types than others. Turf is more consistent but well maintainted grass fields are nice to be on.

• I prefer playing sports on a well taken care of natural grass field, falling on turf hurts a lot more than natural grass. I also don't like how hot the turf gets, although it can be played on at all times because it can't get muddy I like grass better. Turf looks a lot better in my opinion and the grass takes a lot more work, but I prefer grass. 

• I prefer turf more because I think that it reduces injuries but I think that people like it better because they won't have to take care of it like mowing and painting it. I've played on turf for most of my life for the most part in sports because I think that most schools like turf more than grass. I think that if the grass gets taken care of I like it better than turf.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker