In recent years many people seem to think teenagers are more impolite than in previous generations. Is this so? Every generation of teens is made by the social things in everyday life. Today teenagers are no different in fact they are the first generation to grow up saturated by mobile technology and social media. 

In today's world teens are a lot more close with their parents compared to previous generations. In spite of that their life path has also been formed by income imbalance that depresses their hopes for their future. Analizing to previous generations many people believe that teens have less control over how their life turns out. Many believe this is because parents choose their life paths for them. Parents in today's generation are much more forceful about things like going to college than in previous generations leaving some kids feeling pressured and feeling like their parents pre determin their life. 

Many believe that young people in today's world are more disrespectful than ever. Personally I think this has to do with today's communication mainly being passed  through mobile technology. Communication is indirect and going forward informal. Whereas traditions are passed on when talking face to face. Today many young teens would rather hide behind screens instead of interacting with one another face to face. Not to mention social media is influencing teens in their everyday life with some sort of trend. But why are these trends affecting the way teens are behaving some may ask. Many trends encourage extreme diets, exercise routines, and unrealistic body standards that can lead to disastrous behaviors. Some of these simple yet so easy trends are resulting with teens in malnutrition, physical injurey, mental health issues, and even depression.   

In conclusion, the way teens act in today's world is much different from previous years. Due to the effect of electronics on people in the current generation. Whereas the older generation did not grow up with electronics to hide behind and interact with. Are electronics making teens addicted and selfish towards others?

Do you think teens now are more impolite than before? If so then why?

How could teens be more polite in today's world? 

Are electronics making teens addicted and selfish towards others?

Why are trends affecting the way teens are behaving? 

Sources: 

Cole, Alyssa. “The Dangers of Social Media Trends.” The DO, 4 May 2023, thedo.osteopathic.org/columns/the-dangers-of-social-media-trends/#:~:text=Some%20fads%20encourage%20extreme%20diets,%2C%20anxiety%2C%20depression%20and%20more.  

“Teens and Manners: Is Today’s Generation Less Polite and More out of Line?” WFMJ.Com, www.wfmj.com/story/24087149/teens-and-manners. Accessed 27 Aug. 2023.

/author/int-no_author. “Are Young People Today More Disrespectful or Rebellious than Their Parents Were?” The Japan Times, The Japan Times, 29 July 2008, www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2008/07/29/voices/are-young-people-today-more-disrespectful-or-rebellious-than-their-parents-were/.

Globale, Ecole. “Why Teenagers Show Rude Behaviour.” Medium, Medium, 9 Feb. 2021, ecoleglobale101.medium.com/why-teenagers-show-rude-behaviour-1e4d2f5b2d7b.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that Teens are not as polite as they once were due to the way they grew up or were raised. Technoligy has really shaped the way Teenss brains works and recives information.  Most kids these days are also not taught how to say maners and give people respect. So yes i think that this generation is not as polite as previous generations but not every Teen is like this.

• I feel like electronics are making teens addicted to social media and selfish towards others because some teens have done this to me. I think that teen are more impolite than before because they don't care what happens to others as long as they have technology to use. Ways for teens to be more polite is by not using their technology and having face to face interactions. 

• I think that trends are a big problem since people on TikTok specifically will tell young kids to do this thing even though it’s really bad. It also doesn’t help that the beauty standard is insane, everyone looks beautiful in their own way, you don’t need to look the part to be a kind person or for people to like you. I also think that we are more impolite because we just were raised in a time where calling someone an idiot isn’t “supposed to be mean, it’s just a joke” for example. I do also believe though that it depends on the person's personality, if they have something going on at home, if they are possibly jealous, or if they just need to talk to someone.

• I believe that teens are more impolite because we grew up watching tv and social media that show people that act badly. When we are young, we are influenced by our parents and everyone else around us, so when we someone do something bad and not get introuble about it, we learn to think it is right. Electronics are addicting and make teens selfish . What teens could do to be more polite is they could learn more manners and learn how to respect everyone else and not just themselves

• I think that electroncs  are not the only reson teens are acting like this. Other reseons are how forcfull parents in this day of age are By making there teen Think that they are controling there life and not letting them make choses for themselves like human beins. Another resion I think this is because of other teens influincing eachother. A teen could be nice but another teen could be a bad influence on them.

• I think teens are less polite, they use less manners like please and thank you and sometimes don't pay attention to someone who is talking. I think that there is less bullying now than in previous generation because you don't see much of it anymore. I don't think kids know how to interact with adults as much because their parents interact for them.

• Although I am too young to have interacted with teens in previous generations, I think that teens are less polite now for many reasons. One reason is most definitely phones and other technology. Phones create less physical interactions which contributes to this issue. I also believe that parenting is different now, and it could be heavily affecting teens.

• I think teen are less polite becasue we don't say much thank you or any kind words that casue everyone like to play video games or wasn't grown up with saying that kind of stuff. Early generation i feel were more polite becasue if they didn't say thanks or kind word they would get in troiuble at home.

• I think this generation is more impolite than other generations due to socal media and everyone hiding behind a screen rather than talking face to face with people. Teens aren't learning very good habits from their parents anymore. Many parents do not care to talk to their child about manners or being polite, so the kid just thinks it's okay.

• Teens are more impolite than previous generations because of how society views parenting. Many parents don't discipline their children and this teaches kids that they can get their way. Teens can be more polite by learning how to behave and take accountability for their actions and mistakes without agression. Many teens behave the way they do by how they are raised and how they grew up. Technology may have an impact on how teens view themselves because of the unrealistic beauty standards and expectations. But that doesn't always mean teens will be selfish towards others because of social media. Trends may be harming teens because of the peer pressure and comparison of influencer's lives. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker