Are Semester Tests Necessary?

At the end of each semester, students are required to take a big assessment for each class to show what they have learned and whether or not they are proficient. These tests usually have a big impact on the student’s grade. Studies have shown that these tests stress out students AND teachers, especially at the end of the year. But are these tests really necessary and beneficial for the student’s future?

Big impactful tests like these can be very beneficial to students. In an article, Chicago Tribune, it states, “if we didn’t have exams that accounted for large percentages of our grades, students would no longer have the opportunity to drastically change how they do at the end of the semester”. This could support both sides of the argument. Some students, with a lower grade, might be very thankful for these tests so then they have the opportunity to bump their grades back up. However, some students with high grades may not like these tests because they are afraid that it will lower their grade. So should these tests be less impactful on students’ grades?

Semester tests can cause a lot of stress on students. Students have to spend hours upon hours studying for these tests. Not because they don’t know the information, but because there is so much information all packed into one test. The studying part can be stressful, but also just taking the tests. Most of these tests are very long in length or just very time consuming. Not just students, but teachers too. Teachers have to prepare all of the study guides and usually make these long tests. People and students can’t forget that teachers put in a lot of effort into their job into making sure all students have a chance to be successful in life and giving students as many opportunities as possible. And the better you do on these tests, the more opportunities you will have. 

Would it be better if we replaced semester tests with semester projects? Projects can be less stressful and can be worked on over time, not in a small period of time. However, some people, like myself, are not very creative. Many classes do choose to do projects instead, however, most classes just stick to tests, especially the core classes. So this could really go both ways. Or like Bruns' classes, maybe semester tests could be group tests. Making it less stressful, but still a test. Personally, I really like having group tests, not to rely on my classmates, but to be less stressed. A flaw could be a student slacking, but maybe their could be rules applied. Maybe if a student is slacking, they are kicked out of the group tests. There are many other alternative options than just big impactful semester tests.

In my opinion, I think that semester tests are necessary and beneficial for a student’s future. Though it may be very stressful, I think that it is very important for the student. However, I believe that these semester tests shouldn’t impact our grades so much. I usually have a really good grade in all classes, but when I take semester tests, my grade always happens to go down. Usually because it is really hard to get a 100% on these tests.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2010-01-14-1001150311-story.html 

https://seamannews.com/25481/opinion/are-finals-necessary/ 

Are semester tests necessary?

Would it be better to have semester projects?

How much should semester tests impact a students’ grade?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the tests should be less impactful on our grade. I was thinking maybe 5-10% max.

• I think that semester tests can be very stressful because you have to learn so much. Maybe you can replace it with a project or give several options that students can choose from. If every semester test is like an actual  test it can be very stressful because of all the things that you have to know. 

• I agree, it would be really nice to have options to pick from.

• I think that semester tests are somewhat necessary, although, I would much rather like a project instead of a test. I feel like some tests should not go into the grade book and just be kept for data on what you learned and what you could be taught again/better.  

• I think that's a great idea, maybe instead of semester tests affecting our grade, they can just be put in the books, like you said. Great idea!

• Semester test are not nesscary and I do understand why they do the test, the reasoning is to see how much wer have learned and improved over the whole year and so they have date on what classes to put us in next year.

• I slighty confused on what you are really saying, but I think that they are necessary for many reasons, but I can understand that POV.

• I think that semester test are necessary so teachers can know how well they taught some stuff and if they need to spend more time on certain material. Even if some kids aren't good test takers, it still can show a lot of material. I don't think they are fun but I do think that they are necessary.

• I agree, however, I don't think that it is necessary for the tests to be so impactful to our grades.

• I think that semester tests are necessary, just so that the school can get a sense of what you retained. I feel like projects would also be a good alternative to semester tests since they aren't as much pressure per se. I feel like semester tests should be no more than 10% of a student's final grade. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker