Are School Dress Codes Unfair?

There are a lot of students and even parents that argue the dress code. Administrators try to enforce it, but it can cause a lot of problems. Students express themselves differently through their clothing. By wearing band t-shirts like motley crue, def leppard, billie eilish, ice spice, and a lot of others. They can also express themselves by wearing crop tops or baby tees. There are also schools that prohibit sweatpants, sweatshirts, leggings, or any athletic attire. Schools state that it makes it “easier to hide drugs.” 

Girls face a lot of the heat when it comes to the dress code especially when the weather gets warmer. Shirts can’t show your shoulders, have straps skinner than two fingers, skirts and shorts have to be fingertip length. People say that the dress code sexualizes female students. 

Boys can be at practice for their sport and be shirtless, but girls can’t wear certain tank tops or bras when it is 100 degrees out. This is a double standard and is completely unfair. If the boys are able to be shirtless then the females should be able to wear their sport bras and tank tops.

Do you believe that the dress code targets girls?

Should the dress code be changed?

http://https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/why-school-dress-codes-are-often-unfairhttp://https://www.edweek.org/leadership/school-dress-codes-arent-fair-to-everyone-federal-study-finds/2022/10

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the school dress code may target girls because they tend to show more skin than guys. If girls would dress more modestly they wouldn't have to worry about being dress coded. I think that the dress code is in place for a reason and does not need to be changed.

• I do think the dress code targets girls. I read Gabe's comment and my friend and I started talking about the fashion industry and how it mostly only makes cropped or short clothing. The dress code should definetly be changed so it's more leanient towards girls. 

• I think school dress code target girls a little more than guys but on the other hand girls are the ones always trying to show skin or be flashy. I think the dress code could be changed to be a little more leant and not as strict.

• I think that some schools do target girls. I think that anyone should be able to wear what they want when it comes to school. I also think that if your mom or dad says something about it then it is bad and you shouldn't wear it to school because your just onna get your self in trouble.

• I 100% belive that dress codes are more aimed toward girls. But, that is mostly because girls are more likely to wear clothing that exposes more than guys would. I think that we should be able to wear tanktops in the summer during school and that if our bra strap is showing it is not that big of a deal. 

• I think that the dress codes target girl much more than it does boys. I feel that they should be more lenient with girl clothing and dress codes. If you were to get dress codded and the reason being, "your distracting the boys," wouldn't you think that's the boy's fault? Not the girls. I think that the dress code needs to be well-updated for both genders. 

• I think the dress code does go against girls more then boys. Boys should get the same amount of dress codes as girls do. They make it seem like girls need to cover there whole body even though its the boys that get distracted not the girls. The dress code should be changed and you should be sexualising woman for showing there shoulders or anything that doesn't really matter.

• I do think that dress codes are geared toward girls, and I think that should be changed. Personally, I don't wear clothes to school that break the dress code, but that is just because I prefer wearing sweatshirts and leggings over jeans and a cropped shirt. Even though I don't wear thos clothes to school, in no way is it distracting people, so I think the dress code in unfair.

• I think the dress codes kind of target girls since a l lot of the things against the dress code are things we would wear but I kind of understand why some of the things that are against code are against it. I don't really know what I would change about the dress code if I could because if they did change the dress code I don't think I would change anything I wear. 

• Personally, I think that kids should be able to wear whatever they want as long as they are appropriate and agree with the school dress codes.  I think that this takes away the kid's freedom to decide what they want to wear.  Typically, you can choose what you want to wear to work.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker