Are Electric Cars Better Than Gas Cars?

Electric cars are the future, that’s what everyone wants them to be. Everyone thinks electric cars are good for the environment and such a good idea. But there are downfalls with these cars. 

First, they all require a battery to start.  Each one of those batteries needs lithium.  Where does lithium come from? They have to mine it up, and there is only 1 lithium mining field in the United States. So that can’t be enough. How else do they get it? They have to import it from other countries like Australia. So they have to mine it in Australia and then transport it more than likely using a boat that is using diesel fuel. Digging up lithium is terrible for the environment. It destroys the soil structure. This can lead to hurting our water table, which in the end reduces our water source and then leads to a risk of extinction. So now that they got the lithium they will make the batteries and then make the electric cars. 

Another downfall to electric cars is that the batteries do not last.  They say the batteries can last up to 100,000 miles to 300,000, so then when you have to get a new battery you have to dispose of the old one.  This is bad because you are putting it back into the earth. Then you have to get a new one, which costs more money.

The third reason that electric cars are not good is that you have to charge the battery.  This is an inconvenience.  Every 300 miles these batteries must be charged, which uses energy that uses fossil fuels. 

On the other hand, gas cars have several pros. Electricity is more expensive than gasoline, so gas-powered is better in the long run.  They are cheaper to make, which makes them more affordable for the consumer.  

They are pros and cons to both types of cars.  It really comes down to people’s preference.  Both options are available to help with transportation in today’s society.

In my opinion, I would rather have a gas car than an electric car any day. You can easily find a gas station more easily than a charging station. Having the sound of a real gas car or a diesel car or truck is a great.

Would you rather have a gas or electric car?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that electirc cars coudl be better then using gas cars due to gas prices. I know gas prices have gone up alot sense last year and probaly the years to come. So I can see why some might want and electirc cars but if you think about it are you really wanting to paying for a really expensive car and as time goes on it adds up costs. I personally wouldn't want to have and electirc car. Aslo when driving around there are so many gas stations but it takes some time to find charging stations for electic cars.

• in my opinion i would rather have a electric car right now because of the gas prices that have gone up and I feel like more people should get electric cars rather than gas cars because it is way cheaper to fill up 

• In terms of climate change and global warming, we need to find more eco-friendly ways of transportation. I'm aware that electric cars might not be that eco-friendly and that they have some downfalls. However, I still think that electric cars are going to become more important in the next fews years. 

• I agree electric cars could become more important in the future

• I would rather use a car that takes gas because their easier to stop and fuel, there not as terrible for the world, and they can travel longer. Although their are perks to having electric cars I do think gas cars are better for us and the world.

• I would rather have a gas car because if you run out of gas it takes a couple of minutes to fill up while if you run out of charge you will have to spend a couple hours charging your car while a gas car only takes minutes. Gas cars and trucks can also haul more than electric cars can.

• I would rather have a car that uses gas because everything my dad tells me is that it is too expensive in the long run for an electric car. A new battery for an electric car costs more than the car does. I know I would be able to find a gas station more frequently on the road before I would be able to find a charging station.

• I thnk I'd stick with gas cars. electric cars are so time consuming beings you having to stop for a hour to 'charge' their car when gas cars take 5 mins to fillup. In general gas cars are so much better and more reliable than electric cars are, gas stations are easier to find then charging stations are 

• I think gas cars are better than electric car because especially if you live in small town there is almost no where to charge you car. Plus it takes time to charge you electric cars. So it would be better to have gas car cause you can just put gas in and go and not have to sit there.

• I disagree, it usually only takes 24 hours to charge an electirc car, and with the car that my family has we have our own portable charger that we can bring with us. We also have our own plug in for it in our garage.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker