Are eBooks better than printed books?

Nowadays there are many different ways to read a book, starting in 1455 with the Gutenberg Bible, being the first printed book ever. Over the years we have experienced different types of books, digital types or traditional ones. The first ebook ever created was done by Michael S. Hart in 1971 digitizing the U.S. Declaration of Independence. As in traditional books, there are many different types and brands of ebooks. The most known is Kindle, first made in 2007 by the Amazon company. Since then, kindles have been a huge success being sold all over the world and making good profit from them. In 2012 Amazon made $565 million just with Kindles. As well as printed books have developed over the years, ebooks have developed too. Ebooks are not just kindles, ebooks are every digital format of a book such as PDF, EPUB, etc.  

There are some pros of reading an ebook. They help with the environment because they don’t require cutting down trees for producing the paper, they can be read many different books in the same device, the price of buying a new book is a lot cheaper (most of them being between $2 and $15) and sometimes you can even find them for free. Finally, it is easier for authors to publish books online than going through the process of sending it to the editorial, having the approval, printing it and at the end, selling it to stores. This may also be better for unknown or new authors so everybody can have access to their books. 

On the other hand, there are some cons about ebooks. Many readers like the feel of touching the paper that printed books have. Digital books are read on a screen and even though they are made in a different way so they don’t damage your eyes, they are still harmful and can affect your vision. To end with, some readers admit that not seeing the cover of the book every day as in printed books, may end up not knowing what book they are reading. 

According to research, many experts agree that ebooks are not worth in 2022 but I personally think they are. There are many types and platforms where to find them, resulting in a lot cheaper or even free. Ebooks help with the environment and are easier to carry around with you. 

Do you prefer ebooks or printed books?

Do you think there will be no more printed books in the future?  

https://uj.ac.za.libguides.com/UJeBooks/formats

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0812/e-books-vs.-print-books.aspx

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Printed books are a lot easer to me, and some can read to you. Not only that but ebooks are really easy to find but it also depends on the author of the book. some books I read I normaly buy but ebooks I don't really need to buy them.

• I disagree with you, I think that eBooks are a lot easier to read on and to carry too.

• Personally, I prefer to read printed books because they are much easier on my eyes, and they are much easier to read in general. I think that there will be no more printed books in the future because of how easy ebooks are to make and obtain.

• I agree that printed books are better for your eyes but I feel that eBooks are more convenient and easier to carry around. 

• yes i think that books will be relics of the past.damage cant be done to ones and zeros unless it gets deleted.Although young people may read more quickly on an eReader, the speed and potential distractions of links, scrolling, and advertisements usually mean people remember and retain what they are reading better in physical books.

• I prefer to have printed books because it makes me less distracted at the fact that I can go and check my other apps right there and with a printed book I can be kept occupied and not have to struggle with that. I think that printed books are just one of those things that will stay a custom because of how long they have been aorund already and how long they have stayed the same in the way that they are manufactured and the way that they are sold.

• I agree that eBooks can sometimes be a distractions because of the easy access to other apps while using it.

• I think ebooks are better than paper books because you can get to them faster. There are some that will read it to you. also, they can be on their phone and most people always have their phones with them. I think there will be a time in the future when they stop making paper copies, but I think someone will always have some or they could be in thrift stores.

• I agree that eBooks are better than printed books because as you said, phones are something we carry around with us all day and you will have access to books any time.

• I think that ebooks are a lot more sustaInable than printed books and a lot easier as well. Erin made a great point about if you wanted to read multiple books on a vacation you could just bring your kindle or something. I use printed books though because its all I have, I should really get a kindle.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker