Are Child Marriages Justified?

I think that most people know about child marriages or at least have an idea of what they are.... But just in case some people don't know what I’m talking about,here’s some back story. A child marriage refersto any formal or informal union beteween a child ( anyone under the age of 18)And an adult or sometimes even another child. Child marriages rob young boys/girls of their innocence and childhood. 

There have been many cases of child marriages even here in the U.S... and it's not even between a child and another child it has been between a CHILD and an ADULT.  Either way, here are a few examples. Back in the 2000s some Tennessee 10-year-old girls married men that were  24, 25, and 31. Later on, an 11-year-old boy married a 27-year-old woman.

In my opinion that just isn’t right. Like if they wanted to marry that badly then maybe they should have waited until the kids were legal adults. In the end, I think that we can agree that not only is child marriage wrong but it aslo ruins a childs innocence/childhood.

What do you think about child marriage?

What age do you think is reasonable for someone to marry?

What are your thoughts on the marriages I mentioned that occurred in Tennessee? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

https://www.unicef.org/protection/child-marriage

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that children should be married. They should not be forced to get married to some random person that will treat them like a slave and neglect them. People deserve to live life how they want no matter how old they are.

• I dont think that child marriages are a good thing at all like you said it takes away the child hood and innocence.

Probably when you are a leagal adult.(18 years of age)

They shouldent have happend because that is just sick and gross.

• They really do ruin life for little kids. As a child you should never have to worry about getting married... expecially not to someone that is 3 times older than you. And yes once you're a legal adult you should be able to get married whenever you want to.

• I don't think that child marriage could ever be justified. There is no reason for child marriages to happen other than cultural ones or necessity. I think that as a society everywhere around the world child marriages should be deemed as unacceptable. After 18 to be honest I don't care when someone marries their significant other. Just as long as it doesn't cross below that age. In my opinion, though a decent age to marry someone is around your 20's probably later in them. 

• I think that child marriage is very stupud because you should not be married before you are a legal adult. I believe that you should be at LEAST vote which is 18 to be married. I agree with you that the Tennessee marriages were silly and the kids should be legal adults before they marry.

• I personally don't agree with child marriage mainly because of a childs brain development and maturity. I dont think that someone should be able to get married until they are 18 because this is when you are a legal adult and can make your own decisions. Even then though I feel its not the best idea because you are still very young. I feel that a highschooler makes the most impulse decisions out of any age group because we are teenagers and don't think about the long run. Therefore I dont think its not the best idea. 

•  I don't think they should be allowed until you are at least 18.  If you can't vote then you shouldn't be able to get married.  I think it is pathetic that a 10 year old got married and it should be illegal.  They may have mental problems if they want to get married that young. like they are too afraid to be alone.

• I do not think that children should be able to get married as they are so young and aren't even fully deveolped. They can make some decisions for themselves but that big of a commitment shouldn't be made at that young of an age. So overall I think child marriage isnt a good thing and they should wait til they are older. 

• Yes, I think that kids and teens under 18 should not have to worry about marriage because like you said, they aren't even fully developed yet.

• I think child marriages are unfair.  I do not agree with them at all. I think that a good age to get married is in your mid twenties.  I think that the marrige that you mentioned is awful. The child is probably being taken advantage of.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker