Are 14 years of school rational?

As an American, you usually attend school for 14 years, including preschool and kindergarten. Is this a rational system set up by our government? Many people also decide to attend college which brings up those years to 16-18 years. 

The reason school started and lasts so long is that children were no longer as much needed on farms and were too young to work in factories. So children were instead sent to school to advance their education and prepare them for harder more technological jobs and over time schools settles into the 12-14 year-long course.

We spend most of our year in school, is it beneficial? Some studies show that, yes, it is. Students have enough time to receive new information from their teachers and have enough time each day and each school year to study this information and take the quizzes related to it. Some people even believe that school should be year-round instead of only 9 months.

Other people disagree with this and say the school should have shortened years. These people believe that mental health plays a big part in productivity at school and school causes poor mental health, so giving students a chance to breathe from school instead of giving them 3 months break, they believe the break from school should be longer. Students could also use this time to gain the necessary skills that they get from being outside of school, like motor skills. People could also use this time for their jobs to gain money for after school.

Should school years be shortened?

What benefits are from either circumstance?

https://www.wonderopolis.org/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that school is too long. School's should shorten days and weeks required to pass school

• I think that the 14 years of school is reasonable. The early years are when we learn to read, write, communicate properly, do basic math, care for ourselves properly, etc. Then, we get into the more complicated parts of these topics. High school is where you are really able to flourish and take more advanced subjects that you need or want. I think it is reasonable, especially since it led to keeping young kids out child labor. 

• I think the length of school is acceptable the way it is. When you're in your first years of school you are just learning how to read, write, and do basic math skills, which you'll need for the rest of your life. I also think that if we were to not have the last few years of highschool then you would have to cram all of that year's curriculum into the past years which would make school less enjoyable.

• our first few years of school are crucial to our education, do you think you'd want to shorten school if they taught harder subjects earlier?

• In my personal opinion, I think that the time is fine for the years of schooling. Although we do spend a lot of time at school, if you aren't moving on to college or a secondary education, I think that the fourteen years are necessary. 

• Yes I think school should definetly be shorten. We waste so much of our life sitting in a builing and most of the time we dont learn anything. I cant name one thing ive learned this whole year. I think we should graduate when were 16 and then start being able to live our life.

• Graduating at 16 is an interesting idea and I agree!

• I think that school is fine the way it is, but if they were to change anything, I think they should shorten it. Unless, they leave it K-12, which is not bad at all, they should shorten the day. I think we need to start later so we can get more sleep.

• School days should be shorted. I think it just makes it harder for students to put effort into each school day.

• I don't mind the K-12 system, but I think school needs to start later so that students can get more sleep. Although school goes to 12th grade, you can drop out at 16 in Iowa and there are other ways of getting a high-school equivalent diploma. I think it is important for young children to be in school by the time they are 5 to learn social skills and to build a routine.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker