AMBER Alerts

AMBER Alerts are alerts that you get on your phone when a child that is 17 or under goes missing. These alerts are sent to people that are in a certain range of the child that has been abducted. AMBER alerts will state the name and description of the person that was kidnapped and the description of the person that took them, as well as the vehicle information. In order for an AMBER alert to be issued, the law enforcement has to believe that the child is in serious danger, and they have to have information about the child as well as the abducter. The child also has to be added into the National Crime Information Center system.

AMBER stands for America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response. It is also named after Amber Hagerman who was kidnapped on January 13th, 1996, while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas. She was taken into a truck where she was later murdered. Her body was found 4 days later, but the abducter was never found. The Arlington Police Department are still searching to find who did this. 

Around 1,186 children have been found because of AMBER alerts. AMBER alerts help to get the information out so that people can help look for the child. They can also be used to scare the abducter. Some kidnappers may feel more inclined to return the child if they know that people are looking for the child and they could be found. 

AMBER alerts are a great way that our society has grown. Families are able to get more help to find their child. Not everyone looks at the AMBER alerts, but even the help of one person being on the lookout can help save a child's life.

When AMBER alerts come onto my phone, I always look at them. Reading the information that is written on the alerts could make a difference. I think that AMBER alerts are very helpful, even one more child found, is better than none. If I saw the vehicle or person described in the alert I believe that I would call if I was sure that it was the right person or car.

SOURCES:

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/guidelines-for-issuing-alerts

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/faqs

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/28-years-later-who-killed-amber-hagerman/

QUESTIONS:

Do you read the AMBER alerts that you get?

Do you think that AMBER alerts are beneficial?

Would you call the police if you saw the vehicle or person described in the AMBER ALERT?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I read the AMBER alerts I get in case the child is in my area, so I could call in case I spotted the described child or a vehicle. AMBER alerts are beneficial because they help spread the word about missing children and help find them faster. I would call the police if I saw a vehicle or person described in the alert. 

• I agree with you, without AMBER alerts it would take police a lot longer to find a missing child.

• Yes I read the amber alerters. I do think that amber alters are benificial. Yes I would call the police if I saw the person or vehicle it described.

• I do not read them casue I all ready know ones coming after I leave the bus stop. No they are not beneficial casue I almost keep getting caught. No I would not report myself.

• Yes, I read the AMBER alerts I get on phone because if its by my area I would like to help and yes AMBER alerts are beneficial so the public can help find the missing child. Yes, I called the police but also follow them so I can give the police any updates on where they are going.

• I agree with you, when many people are looking for a child, it makes it much faster for the police.

• I read the AMBER alerts that come onto my phone, it always makes me sad for the person that it is talking about. I think they are beneficial, it gets so many people involved and lets people pray for the person that is missing. I would call the police if I saw the vehicle or person described.

• I agree with you, many people can help find the missing child, but if they can't they can still pray.

• Yeah I read the AMBER alerts and it's sometimes concerning, but I don't think much of it that much. I think it can be benefical for some people, but if its not like a tornado or something then its not very important to me. Yeah i'd probably call the police but thats about it.

• I usually look at the AMBER alerts out of curiotisty and to look at the area the person was tooken from. I do believe AMBER alerts are very beneficial to people in the area to maybe look for the kid. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker