Abortion Pill Legalization

Abortions are the #1 controversial topic to exist! What is an abortion? An abortion by definition is “the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy”, in other words, ending an infant's life in the tummy before they are born. According to guttmacher.com, abortion pills accounted for over 54% of all abortions in the United States. This pill is now being taken to court. Should this pill stay legal for all states, or shall the banning of this pill begin now?

Why do people execute abortions? There are many reasons that women state why they want or have an abortion. Such as, “too early”, “not ready”, “don’t want a baby”, “can’t care for one”, ect. 

How does the pill work? Well actually, this is a two-step process. First, the woman will take a pill called Mifepristone. This pill will initially stop the pregnancy from progressing. This may cause a woman to feel nauseous or start bleeding from their uterus. The second pill is called Misopristol. Up to 48 hours after taking Mifepristone, the female will take Misoprostol. This pill will “in simple terms” kill the sex cells that are creating the baby. This pill will cause extreme cramps for the female as well as a lot of blood rushing out from the uterus. This process is very similar to a miscarriage when taking these pills. Still confused? Think of it as a forced miscarriage. 

Why is the potential banning of the abortion pill such a big deal? Mifepristone (the abortion pill) is responsible for over half of all abortions. Because of how big this pill is to abortions, this is huge for both Democrats and Republicans. Democrats are usually for “pro-choice”, whereas Republicans are usually for “pro-life”. What does that mean? If you are pro-choice, that means that you believe that women should be able to make their own decisions on what they do with their body and want abortions to be legal. If you are pro-life, you believe that abortions should be illegal and vote for the banning of this medicine. 

Depending on your political POV, there are many pros and cons to this pill and topic. In my personal religious view, I do not believe in abortions. I think that they should be illegal because I don’t think it is right to end a life, even if it hasn’t even begun. Also meaning, that I think that this pill should be banned by the court. This is a really tough topic to talk about, with many mixed opinions.

*I will try to keep posted on updates with this court case

For right now, the pill will remain legal until further notice.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2022/02/medication-abortion-now-accounts-more-half-all-us-abortions 

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/the-abortion-pill/how-does-the-abortion-pill-work 

Do you think that the abortion pill should be legal or illegal? Why?

Would it be easier for the female to just have the baby and put it up for adoption?

Do you think that the government will end up banning this pill?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion the governmant should make the abortion pill illegal. If you don't want to have a baby then don't. I understand that there are accidental pregnancies but that's a risk you take. I do think it would be better if the female put the baby up for adoption rather than killing it before it's born.

• I agree, I think that killing the baby is the wrong thing to do. If you don't want a baby, don't do what it takes to have one. It's that simple.

• I think that the pill should be illegal and that we should not be able to use it. Abortion is unethical unless it is needed because of some medical issues in some people. Abortion is a huge controversial topic that has been argued about for many years.

• I agree with you, I just think there are better ways out there other than killing a baby.

• I think that they should be legal if its alright with your parents or your gaurdian. This should be legal because accidents happen and tenagers are not smart sometimes. I think that putting your own baby up for adoption is way harder then abortion. I do think that the they will end up banning the pill.

• I understand that it could be hard to put up your baby for adoption, but I think that it would be harder to live the rest of your life, knowing that there could be just 1 more person living today. And they would be able to call you "mom/dad". 

• I dont think the government should ban this pill. Somtimes people need abortions for medical reasons. I feel that it goes against peoples rights. I hope they dont ban this.  Bood topic.

• Thank you, and I understand how it could possible go against people's rights. But think of it this way, abortion is killing. Killing is murder. And murder is obviously against the law. So why aren't abortions against the law?

• In my opion the abortion pill should be illegal. It has the same siteaffects of having the baby then go through the whole abortion steps. If you are thinking about getting a abortion then why did you get pregnant in the first place. Make smart decesions in life. 

• I agree with you, I have a lot of people bringing up stuff about if the mother dies. Like if you know that you are going to die if you have a baby, don't get pregnant in the first place. People need to be smarter in this generation!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker