1998 World Cup Final

The 1998 World Cup Soccer final was between France and Brazil. They had a lot of competition and they were rivals for a long time. Ronaldo was Brazil's most famous player, he had won many awards and he created a lot of fame for Brazil’s soccer team. However, hours before the 1998 World Cup Final, Ronaldo fell very ill and was rushed to the hospital. His teammates were confused and worried about their star player. Rumors were that he suffered a seziere, other rumors were that he had hurt his knee. Then, out of nowhere Ronaldo returns, 40 min before the game and said to be completely clear and fit to play in the game. During the game, Ronaldo was clearly out of it, he was not playing to the ability he could play at. After the game, reports came out about Ronaldo, stating from his teammates that the night before the game he seemed to have suffered a minor seizure in his hotel room. After these reports have come out, Ronaldo’s doctors were being questioned with what they have been prescribing to him during the season. They admitted that they gave Ronaldo a painkiller called Voltaren, this was to help with previous injuries he had earlier in the season. Voltarens side effects do not include seizures, however the side effects are stomach pain, dizzyness, lightheadedness and headaches. 

However, some conspicies with this story are, he would only have had these side effects if he was truly very sick beforehand, a likely reason was because Nike forced Ronaldo to play. This was because Ronaldo drew a lot of buisness to Nike and every game that Ronaldo played wearing a Nike uniform, Nike got money. An article came out stating that the Brazillian Football (soccer) confederation has a contract with nike, stating that they must play Ronaldo throughout the entire season and together, the Football confederation and Nike backed Ronaldo into a corner threatening to cancel his sponsorship deal and forced him to play in the World Cup Final. 

A second theory was that the Brazillian Football Confederation and Brazillian Government officials were offered $30 Million dollars to throw the game and let their opponent, France win the championship game. The bribe was also that they would hace an easy pass into the 2002 World Cup and that they would be able to host a World Cup by the next decade. Then, ironically in 2014 Brazil got to host the World Cup. I think that Ronaldo was actually ill and Nike forced him to play, if he was having seizures and stuff the night before then something was going on.

The mystery of Ronaldo and the 1998 World Cup final : soccer

1.) Do you think Ronaldo was actually sick, and Nike forced him to play, or do you think the Brazil team got offered money by France to throw the game and let France win?

2.) Do you think there could be a possibility that Ronaldo took too many of his pain killers? Do you think it could be a chance that he had a drug problem?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that he was probably sick and that he was forced to play because of his skill level. There is definitely a chance that he had taken too many pain killers and he most definitely or probably had a drug problem.

• I think that he might've probably been sick and they forced him to play. I think that NIke possibly could've threatned to take away his sponsorship, so he played even though he was sick and not feeling right. Or I also think that he could've been sick but he wanted to play anyways.

• I think that when it comes to money some people will do anything for it so it is very possible that Nike forced him to play the game. I also think it is very possible that if he was taking pain killers all season that he could have developed a drug problem and could have taken too many pain killers. 

• Yes i think he was sick.  I don't think Nike forced him to play, i bet he wanted to play himself.  If you are a star player in the biggest game I think you would do anything to play.  There are lots of athletes that get iv fluids and medicines when they don't feel good just so they can play.  A person that important has a lot of motivation and determination and will just do it.

• I think that there may have been a pssibilty that he was sick and his sponser ship might have been on the line if he didn't play.  I don't think there was any money involved to throw the game.  I think the most likely thing is the he was sick but he played anyway because he thought he would have let his team and fans down.  I think  that might be why he wasn't playing his best game because he wasn't' feeling good.  I also think there coud have been a possible drug problem because many of those prescription painkillers are very addictive.

• I think that Ronaldo actually was sick. He was a major player and they probably didn't want to risk a game without him, but they should have subbed him out much sooner, because playing when you're not 100% not only increases your risk of injury, but can worsen the side effects of pain killers and cause the drugged person to have mood swings.

• I think that there is a chance that Ronaldo was sick, and Nike forced him to play. I think that Nike probably forced him to play because the worl cup is very big event and only occurs every 4 years. Although I don't believe that he had a drug problem because I feel like they would've noticed this way earlier if it was the case.

• I agree with you I think it is very possible that nike forced him to play because of how big of a game it was and how much money they might have lost if he didn't play.  You made a very good point that it wasn't likely to be a drug problem because it would have affected hime earlier.

• I think it could be many things but I don't think Ronaldo would lie about being sick so I think he would have been sick.  I think that he tired to make himself feel better to play and he did take too many pills but I just think it was a one time thing and I don't think he had a drug problem.

• I think that Ronaldo could have been sick before the game. Nike could have forced him to play because the world cup is a very big stage, and if he is a brand athlete Nike is going to want people to see that. I have heard stories about the Brazillian Ronaldo having drug problems and him taking too many painkillers would not surprise me. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker