Tropical Storm Harvey Hits Texas

Early today and yesterday a category 1 storm hit Texas. The storm has devastated many parts of Texas and is said to continue causing damage well into the next few days. Many houses have been toppled and flooding is wreaking havoc among people. Officials have warned people to leave the areas immediately and many have already left. One official told the people who planned to stay in the area that they should "write their social security numbers on their arms" for easy identification of the bodies. There are more than 1,000 workers currently trying to help out. The storm has sustained winds of more than 70 mph, but during the storm it is said the winds were up to 140 mph. It is said that more than 40 inches of rain are supposed to hit through Wednesday. Officials have said that certain areas could be effected for months to come. This is one of the worst storms since Katrina.

Does this event effect you personally? Do you have any family/friends in Texas?

Would you have stayed in Texas? Why or why not?

I have several close friends in Texas, some of which have actually evacuated. I'm a bit worried for the ones that stayed in the area and I am worried for their homes. I would not have stayed in Texas because I wouldn't want to be injured.

Full story

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My cousin and her family live in Texas, so I'm hoping they're safe. This is awful to hear and hope people come to help the communities after the storm. I would've packed some of the personal belongings then left Texas but I would've made sure to sand bag my house.

• I actually hear that if you fill garbage bags with water it's better than sand. Apparently it creates a vacuum seal against doors.  I hope your cousin is doing good too! It's pretty stressful to worry about family and friends.

• This makes me feel really horrible for Texas.Also I wouldn't even stay in Texas when it happen, because it would be really unsafe and when you don't have a basement or a safe place if a tornado happens.

• I do not have any family in Texas and it makes me feel horrible for people living in Texas.
    I would of not because putting a family in that position would be hard
  • My aunt, uncle, and their three kids all live in Texas. They have said that school may start later than it already is supposed to. And the main thing they are trying to do is stock up on water because faucet water may be contaminated. If I was there my family would try to come back and I'm sure my family there would try to come back as well. Luckily, where they live in Texas is not supposed to get much damage so they are staying put.

• That's crazy! I didn't even think about the water being unsafe that's really scary. My friend is supposed to miss two months of school! It's really scary. I would try to get out during the storm and then come back as soon as it was safe.

• I do have a cousin and close family living in Texas. I'm not sure which parts they are in. If it were me, though, I would not have stayed in Texas. I would want to try as hard as I could to help protect my family, friends, relatives and others in the community. I think the best way for that is to leave as soon as you can before the storm gets even worse. I also understand why people don't leave their homes as it is hard to leave behind your house, belongings and other personal items. 

• It would be hard to leave! I would try to leave and take as much personal belongings as possible. I hope your family is okay! It's always scary when something like this happens near family members.

• I have some family friends that have a ranch not that far from Houston. They are expected to get 32+ inches of rain, it's really scary to know that they are serious danger and it does effect me personally. I think I would have tried to get out before it got really bad. 

• That's scary! I hope they're all safe and well! I would have tried to leave too. Do they have animals? Do you know what they would do with them during the storm (if they have them)?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker