The Death Penalty

What do you think about the Death Penalty? A lot of people could think that the death penalty is a good thing if something happened to their family and the criminal or murderer is on trial. People tend to seek revenge after a terrible tragedy has happened to them. Now let's go over how the death penalty happens, some of the history behind the death penalty, and also the US's thoughts on the death penalty.

The death penalty officially started in the 18th century BC when King Hammurabi came and made the death penalty for 5 crimes. Murder was not one of those crimes though that people could commit for the penalty. Then we also have the Hittite Code that was made in the 14th Century BC, 7th Century BC the Draconian Code that Athens used which made it so every crime ended in the death penalty.

Now jump into the present 21 states do still have the death penalty that the Death Penalty Information Center knows. There are 6 states that are still considering that the Death Penalty is legal but they are not doing them for various reasons. Then we have the rest of the US, 23 states in total, don't have the death penalty which includes Iowa in that 23.

So is the death penalty a good thing or a bad thing? I don't have a strong way towards either but if someone was affected by a person that is on trial they could be leaning towards a good thing. But killing someone just because they did something to you will not make you feel any better about what has happened. The most people can do at that point is to move on and try and stick through it. 

What do you think about the death penalty?

Should all states include the death penalty or none at all?

Why should people get the death penalty?

Source

Source

Source

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with how the death penalty should be removed because there are other punishments other than the death penalty, But I do disagree with the part where they could just be put in jail. Because for the people who committed genocide or some other extreme crime they should get the death penalty. Because if we just put someone in jail for mass murder and it's not a lifetime sentence they could do it again.

• I think that the death penalty should be in place because there are some people that do some very bad things such as kidnapping or murdering other people. but its shouldn't be used for smaller crimes such as j-walking or littering. As long as the governement knows when and how to use it I think it would be ok to have.

• I agree that we could have it for people that commit the extreme crimes such as murdering people, kidnapping people, etc. but for smaller crimes just the small punishments will be fine for them.

• I don't think there is an easy yes or no to the death penalty and I go in depth in my own post about that so I encourage you to read my post. I don't believe that there is a correct answer as of now for question two. I think that if someone deserves the death penalty that they have to do either, Murder, Rape, or sex trafficing. I can always ammend this list so if you suggest some alternate options I will consider them. 

• I also think that the death penlty should happend on people who kidnapped people and genocide. Becuase for the kindnapping should only happend if the person kindnapped them for about 6 months or more because famliys wan't to try everything to find their lost one. Then for genocide its pretty self explanatory, killing a large amout of people is obviously bad because people matter like its people famliy and friends that there hurting its just a good thing for anyone. 

• I don't think there should be a death penalty. I don't think it should be in the states even though it is not right to kill someone but it doesn't meen that they should be killed since there are a lot more punishments that they could do. People might get the death penalty only so they can make the person experience what they made another person had to go through.

• Yes killing people may not be the best option because it alway is terrible to take a life but sometimes those people are just not gonna be able to change.

• I agree with the fact that other than the death penalty for a punishment, there are also other punishments for something like murder. Which instead of the death penalty being the punsihment you could probably just sentence the person to time in jail.

• I can see where you are coming from because there multiple wrongs in killing a person and it won't ever justify what has happened to them but it will for sure give them that closure that they will need.

• I think my view point on the death penalty is in the middle. Although there hasn't been many cases in wrongful execution, there is still some. The death penalty may give people closure for never seeing a serial killer again, or something that did something so horrid to deserve the death penalty. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker