Should all schools have uniforms?

Tradionally favored by private schools, school uniforms are being adopted by public schools in the US. Most school uniforms are required by elementry schools more than middle schools and high schools. The first recorded use of school uniforms was in England in 1222, when a school called the Archbishop of Canterburry made the students wear a robe like outfit called the "cappa clausa". Later in time the school uniform became associated with the upper class and mostly were worn by Englands most respected schools. School uniforms in the US were mostly reserved for only private schools, But in the late 1800's the government mandated boarding schools for Native American Children to wear millitary inspired outfits.

Most people think that we should have school uniforms for alot of reasons. Number 1 they are known to lower crime and increase student saftey becuase they dont allow for students to hide weapons under baggy clothes or make an intuder in a school alot easier to see becuase they aren't wearing a school uniform. Another reason people think we should have school uniforms is becuase it allows students to be focused on their work and not their clothes. It allso allows people to fit in much better. Some cons of not having school uniforms is it dosen't actually lead to less bullying. “Overall, there is no evidence in bullying literature that supports a reduction in violence due to school uniforms, explains Tony Volk, Associate Professor at Brock University. Another con of not having a school uniform is that school uniforms do not approve schoold attendance, academics, or test results. A study that anylized 10th graders found no effect on behaveiral problems, substance use on campus like nicotine, and no effect on pro school attitudes. They are also often ichy and make kids less engaged on their work and more worried about their clothes.

In my opion I don't think that we should have school uniforms becuase it is proven that is does not approve bullying or something like school attendance. Though it might make 

Would you wear a school uniform?

Do you think school uniforms would improve attentiveness and test scores at our school?

What do you think about school uniforms?

https://school-uniforms.procon.org/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I am not in favor of wearing a uniform becuase there aren't any benefits in my opinion. Attentiveness and test scores wouldn't improve if we adopted uniforms because it would make a lot of people uncomfortable. Lastly, I think that school uniforms in a public school is a bad idea.

• Yes, I agree as did reasearch I learned that there is no benifits to school uniforms, and like you said I think they would mabe decrease attentiveness and test scores 

• Would I want to wear a school uniform everyday? No, I think wearing a uniform would be uncomfortable and nobody would like it in general. First of all, if you just came inside and it was hot, I'm not gonna want to put on a hot, think, and uncomfortable uniform. Second, it makes our school boring. If we all dressed the same, the world would be pretty boring so thats why I think we shouldn't have school uniforms. 

• No I wouldn't wear a uniform because I've never worn one, I dont need to wear one, and I'd be pretty upset if I was forced to. No I wouldn't think school uniforms would improve attentiveness and test scores at OUR school because most people would refuse to wear them or try to protest. Now at some other schools where thats already being enforced I could maybe see a benefit, but in small-town middle-america schools I'd say it would be almost impossible to enforce uniforms.

• I agree, I think there would be alot of kids they would be very angry and protest is they were forced to wear school uniforms. I alos agree with they would not be a good fit at our school but mabe at others like a private scholl without a shop class or something like that.

• What do you think about school uniforms? I personally don't like school uniforms, this is because I think most schools make them look bad. They also most likely get really hot, and after being outside in the heat or after gym class I wouldn't want to put on a heavy uncomfortable uniform. 

• I agree, I don't think that school uniforms would be a good fit becuase they are uncomfertable, and like you said they would probaly get hot.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker