Man arrested for shooting at protesters

On August 12th at the unite the right rally a man was recorded shooting at counter protesters. The man who was identified as Richard Wilson Preston was seen yelling at the counter protesters after they were throwing things at him. After the altercation Preston proceeds to shout racial slurs at the counter protesters. After this he pulls a pistol steps back and an fires one at the ground. Police where nearby and said they did not see him shoot the gun or hear the shot. No one was hurt he was later arrested but he has not been charged yet. This took place with in 1000 feet of a school meaning he can be charged with a felony that can mean up to 10 years in prison. 

1. Do you think ten  years to much or not enough for this crime.

2. Do you think that the police could have done something quicker 

My opinion 

I think ten years is enough he didn't try and kill anyone but i do not think he should go unpunished

I think the police herd it happen i just think they did not want to get involved  

full story

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that ten years is a good amount of time for this crime as he shouldn't have pulled out a pistol in the first place especially near a school. I think by this point in time it is obvious to not fire unless it isn't for a crime. I do think that the police could have reacted quicker as it is there job to watch for things like these. They should've heard the noise if they were around which they should have been. 

• No I don't think that it's enough time because taking one life away from one family is enough for the society but taking more than one is just mean and cruel. 

I think that with everything going on with police that they have to watch every move that they make because taking a wrong turn into handling something can get them shamed for the rest of there life. 

• I Feel that if he is convicted of this crime that he should get at least 10 to 20 years, because when you are sold a firearm you are responsible for that gun and what happen with it. If he was concealed carrying then the gun should have never left his side because he was not in a life threatening situation. If we was not CC than he was illegally carrying and should he should be charged and jail for attended murder. Even though he didn't hit anybody he could and that is enough for attempted murder. I also feel that if the police can not hear a firearm go off they need to get there hearing checked because that if unacceptable.     

• I think ten years is enough, but even more than 10 years wouldn't be a bad idea. It's ridiculous that he did this is the first place especially right by a school. I think the police definitely could have done something because their job is to do something! They could have rushed over there and stopped the man and contained what was happening.

• I think 10 years is enough along with some further measures like a psychologists perspective on the topic if he should be out in the real world. I think if the police weren't in ear shot they couldn't have done anything quicker. 

• 1) After reading this, I feel like this man should be put into prison for longer than 10 years because he shouldn't pull a gun and shoot at someone, and you should never shoot within 100 feet of a school. Doing that within the school should be longer than 10 years because it could scare the children and even hurt the children. He should be put away for a long time.

2) Your second question is a good one I think. I think the police should be punished, too because how don't you hear a gun shot that close. It doesn't matter if you can't see it, but a gun shot is loud so how didn't they hear that. I don't think they should be punished for a long time or something that mad, but they still should get into trouble for not doing their job right away.

• I agree that the police should be punished. They claimed the couldn't hear the shot over the protesters but they the right their less than 200 feet away. I dont know what the punishment for the police not acting is but something should be done. 

• 1. I think 10 year or more is great because people may think that there child is in danger if they hear theirs a shoot near the school.

2. I think they should had get to him fast and take his weapon away in case he did something else dangerous  

• I agree that 10 years is enough. And if he convicted of this he will have all his guns taken away and we will never be able to legally buy one again.   

• 1. If nobody was hurt, ten years might be a little much, but of course he should still be punished. 

2. People have negative stereotypes about the police, but I think that if they heard a gunshot they'd rush to investigate. I think they really didn't hear a gunshot. What if the guy had actually shot somebody? The cops just can't not get involved.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker