Living without Money?

In Mainz, a city in west-central Germany, 10 young people are living their dream. They believe in an utopia, a world without global social injustice, capitalism and environmental pollution. They try to be aware of what they really need to live and what not. Therefore they live vegan, ecologically, drug-free and as good as possible money-free together in a shared house, called “Liebermenschhaus”. Their groceries, for example, they get from saving them from being thrown away in a nearby grocery store. Everything they have is shared. They share their food, rent and even their closet. The fewest of them actually have a job because they live off donations, of all the things that others aren’t using at the moment. The founder of the community, Tobi Rosswog, travels through Germany, giving speeches and leading workshops to motivate people to think and live differently.

Tobi Rosswog is convinced that one day our society will be turned for the better. He believes that there will be no longer social injustice, that we won’t live from each other but with each other, and that everything will be shared.

Click here to read the full story (in German) and here to look at their own website and pictures.

Questions:

1. Do you believe that one day the utopia that they are dreaming of will become real? And do you think that they can make a difference by changing their way of life?

2. Could you live like that? Why or why not? What would you miss about your former life?

My answers:

1. To be honest, I don’t think that the utopia will become real because there will always be people that don’t act like they should, even if there are only a few. Yes, I definitely think so, everyone can make a difference! Every little step brings you a little bit further to your goals and if you never start you will never succeed.

2. I’m not sure if I could live like that because I don’t think that I have enough discipline to stand it. I would probably miss being able to buy whatever I want and not being sure how I will live the next few weeks.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No, it doesn't make me laugh I can completely understand you! But don't you think that you could be a vegetarian if you knew that it would be better for your health, the environment and the animals? Because I believe that anybody that really understands what it's about and really wants to do it can live vegetarian.

• No, Because America is to focused on how to get money and to collect more and more stuff. I think that this way of life could change so peoples way of life.

No, I like meat and I like fresh food from the store. I like to provide for myself and not other to provide for me.

• And unfortunately it's not only America! But don't you think that you could forgo meat if you knew that it would be better for your health, the environment and for the animals? It depends on what you meant with "fresh food", but you could for example grow own plants and eat your own vegetables and fruit.

• 1 - I don't think that utopia will be a real thing because there will always be people that are greedy and think that they need more and are better then others. I don't think they will make a difference because they are getting people to donate them money when they are perfectly capable to get a job so that the money they are getting can go to people that actually need it. 

• Yes, unfortunately I think that way too. One thing I didn't mention in my summary is that if they have money that they don't need at the moment, they donate it to poor people. I'm sorry that it led to misunderstandings and I can completely understand your point of view.

• No, because nothing is really ever free. Another reason I don't think this would work, is because people have different beliefs. It is close to impossible to get everyone to think the same and believe the same. I don't think I could live like this because I wouldn't want to get what is potentially trash and eat it.  I would not like all of the restrictions that there are. I like the society now.

• I also think that it will probably never become real. But I don't agree with you that you would eat trash because most of the food that is being thrown away could still be eaten. At least that's how it is in Germany, I don't know how it is in the U.S. but I don't think that there is a huge difference. And I definitely think that there are a lot of problems in our society that maybe could be prevented if there were more people like them.

• No, I don't think that it should or would become real because it would cause so many problems that have to do with taxation and being a free country. I don't think I could live like that because like since you would get the left over food I would feel as if someone else deserves it more than I do and they could use it. There are many families out there that don't have much and I would rather have them take it. I am eligible to get a job and earn my own money so I am going to take that advantage. 

• Why do you think that it would cause problems that have to do with taxation and being a free country? Because I don't think that they want to force anyone to live their lifestyle, they are just trying to inform their fellow human beings about how our society could look like. Your last two points are very good and I didn't think about it that way before, thank you!

• I don't think that there really ever could be a "Utopian society" because so many people have different beliefs. It could never work. I think that it could make a difference. I don't think I could live like that I like the luxury of being able to pick out what I want to wear, and be able to eat bacon. It would be a difficult time. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker