Last Person Alive from the 1800's Passed Away

Emma Morano, and Italian woman aged 117 years and 137 days old, passed away on April 15, 2017. She is the oldest recorded living person with a lifespan stretching from November 29, 1899 to her death on April 15.  Morano holds the Guinness World Record titles for Oldest Living Person and Oldest Living Female, both of which will be hard to beat. Morano credited her longevity to her abusive marriage, eating raw eggs and cookies everyday, but scientists say genetics plays a larger role. She has had several relatives who also lived long lives. Morano says how her abusive marriage made her not want to be dominated by anyone. She was officially recognized as the last living person from the 1800's.

Image result for emma moranoImage result for emma morano young

Read more here

Questions:

1. If you had the opportunity to live longer than a century, would you take it? If so, what would motivate you to keep at life if you outlive loved ones?

2. What do you think has changed the most since Emma was born?

My Opinion:

I don't know how I would be able to get along without loved ones my age who know what it's like to have lived through some rough times, but then again it would be so awesome to see the advancements of the world take place before my eyes. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I think technology and society have progressed the most since Morano was born. You can tell just by looking at the painted picture of her, they didn't even have cameras. I would be pretty amazed at how the world has changed, if I was her. She went from telegraph to wall phone to early cell phone to touchscreen smart phones.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that this would be interesting to be able to experience because you would get to see how much the world has changed. I also think it would be hard because you wouldn't be with any of your loved ones that were close to your age. I think one of the positives about it would be that you would get to see your kids grow old and you would also get to see your grandchildren and possible great grandchildren. I think a lot has changes since Emma was born. Technology is one of the biggest things that has changed and cars.  

• I would like to live a long and happy life. So, yes, I would take the opportunity to live that long. I would be motivated to see my grand-kids and great grand-kids grow up. I think that the evolution of technology has changed the most since her birth. Lots of laws have also changed along with vehicles. 

• Yes, and the record would probably be the reason or the fact that just seeing different things would be interesting. Technology since now we have phones, computers, calculators a lot of stuff they probably didn't have in the 1800s.

• I agree, change can be quite intriguing, especially seeing how things evolve over a long period of time. Technology has definitely changed since then, Emma witnessed the change of cars and the beginnings of computers, phones, tvs and much more.

• personally I would be honored to see the marvelous inventions we will some day make things thought only possible in dreams will become reality. if The price for the view is truly loneliness i don't know if i could do especially if i wasn't retired by then. I would think the biggest change has been the people and the expectations imagine how the slang outfits and new views of our modern society would by seen by a  early ninetieth century women.       

• I agree, with time, dreams really can become a reality. All of our favorite sci-fi movies could be real. I also agree with the changes in slang and outfits. In the early 20th century woman most likely wore a dress to the beach and was doing household chores in her free time, but today people wear very small amounts of clothes to the beach and have jobs and school in their free time.

• I have always thought that it'd be amazing to live for more than 100 years.  Like you said, it'd be so cool to see the advancements, changes, and differences that the world makes through the years. However, I feel like it would be very difficult to live without loved ones. I cannot imagine the sadness and loneliness that someone might feel after losing so many loved ones. I think technology has evolved the most since Emma was born. I can't imagine what it was like to see the invention and evolution of computers- from the very first to a tiny computer in everyone's hand! 

• I agree! Losing loved ones is very difficult, especially outliving a spouse who was your life partner. I don't think I could survive all of that heartache but it would definitely be cool to see the changes and differences. And I agree about the technology too. And computers have only been around since like the 90's and have made huge changes! She even saw the changes from the first car to the brand new ones that back up for you!

• I think it would be very cool to watch the world change immensely in my lifetime, however, I would not want to live that long. I wouldn't have any friends nor older relatives. Also considering trauma one can experience in a normal lifetime, it would be traumatic to live through all the wars, deaths, and other events that happen over a century. I think technology and society has changed the most. In the 1800s there was hardly any technology. Now, society relies on technology everyday. 

• I agree, there are definitely a lot of bad things that can happen to a person who has a normal life span, the longer you live the more bad things can happen. That make's a lot of sense. But there also good things that you can witness too. She saw everything from the first car to the moon landing to the latest iPhone and robots which is cool.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker