History In Your Own Backyard

Last year around July 26, there were bones found at a construction site in Council Bluffs. These bones are said to be from the Mormons that went from Illinois to Salt Lake City. On there trip they came across in the middle of winter and the dreadful winter of Iowa would kill one or more family members at a time.  These bones are said to be over 100 years old or older. 

I think this is very interesting do to the fact that its close to where we live and its something that I've drove by over 100 times or more. 

What would you of done if you would of found the bones?

Have you ever thought about what could be buried in your backyard?

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would be a little surprised, but also maybe a little scared too, because I wouldn't know what the situation would be exactly - I wouldn't know if the people were killed or what, so the first step I would do is probably call the police. No I haven't really thought about what could be buried in my back yard ever.

• I guess i would have thought it was cool but wouldn't be overly interested in it. yes several times. I usually end up tripping over them when they appear. 

• I would have been very surprised to find bones in my backyard, that isn't a ordinal thing to find. I know that there are some cool things the are buried in my yard since we've pushed down so many building and might have missed some things in those buildings. 

• I would take them somewhere to see what they are and what to do with them or I would not really care and just throw them away. I have not thought of what could be buried in my back yard but this story makes me want to dig up my whole yard just to see what i can find.

• Of course I would have notified whomever can professionally asses the situation, then see also what profit can be made from a situation like this, especially if it will destroy my backyard. I think about what is in my Backyard all the time, many curious things can happen anywhere at any time.

• I think that they should be put into a historical museum because this is something important that happened in our history. As a little kid I was very strange and I dug holes in my backyard a lot, I found a lot of things; mainly plastic, old bullets, a strange butter knife. Like I said, I was a very strange little kid.

• If I found any kind of bones in my yard I would contact someone so that they could take them. I have thought about what could be in my yard but I haven't actually tried to see what is in my yard.

• I would of tried to reach a local museum and have them come check them out. I wouldn't mess with them but I would contact someone for sure. Actually, I have thought about what's in my backyard. I've always pondered the thought that there could be some historical things down there. 

• I honestly would just leave them there. They are decayed bodies, which isn't something that I am a fan of. I never thought of what would be in my backyard, I'm sure there are interesting things below the ground. 

• I honestly never even thought about what could be in my backyard underground. Like that one time a family found gold in their backyard. It is cool of how close that is but if it were me and I had been the one who found the bones I probably to be honest would not even think twice about the bones. I may have just forgot about them. maybe keep them buried. But I wouldn't care enough to think about them be ancient o anything and I might just throw them away. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker