Climate Change and Its Effects on Severe Weather Patterns.

Climate change is a very real, and imperative issue in our modern day world. Global temperatures have risen by 2 degrees Fahrenheit in the past three decades, which is a significantly shorter amount of time than it used to take. Due to the sheer volume of the world’s oceans, it takes a colossal amount of energy to warm them, even if only by a small amount. As such, the small increment of two degrees may seem small, but it has a tremendous impact on our planet.

Climate change is heating our atmosphere, which via the greenhouse effect, is heating our oceans. The warmer oceans are increasing the likelihood and destructive power of tropical storms, such as hurricane Helene. As of writing this article, the hurricane has killed 227 people across six different states. Entire communities have been massacred by the flash floods, flying debris, storm surges, and lack of resources. As  you can see, the ocean waters’ and atmosphere’s temperature sets off a chain reaction of a spider web of issues that all come from the leading factor; climate change.

Some Climate-change naysayers will argue that climate change doesn't exist, or that it’s a perfectly natural phenomenon. Some will also claim that if it’s real, then it’s too late for us to change anything anyways. Another idea is that plants and animals can and will adapt, and if they can’t, then that’s just natural selection doing its work. 

Facts state otherwise, and climate change activists would agree. As I previously stated, the earth’s temperature is rising far faster than it has in previous years, which many believe to be the work of humans, seeing as it all starts near the beginning of the industrial revolution. The change is too drastic and too swift for many species to properly evolve in order to keep up with. 

I myself wholeheartedly believe that climate change needs to be more recognized, and that we should be fighting to discover new solutions, alternatives, and opportunities.

sources: https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/climate-change/ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m68_07Sav4 https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature ,https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/06/us/how-helene-devastated-western-north-carolina/index.htm https://www.rainforest-alliance.org/everyday-actions/6-claims-made-by-climate-change-skeptics-and-how-to-respond/  

What do you think about climate change? 

What solutions could we use to combat it? 

Do you have any thoughts about the connection between climate change and hurricane Helene?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that climate isnt as big of a deal as people are making it to be. I dont htink that we need to do anything all the Ev need minerals that have to be mined witch emits almost as much as a normal car. There are no conncetions climate change isnt real. 

• I think climate change is a serious and complicated issue because a lot of people don't wanna admit how bad things are gonna be. It isn't our fault tho, we can't let the corportations who destory the planet everyday tell us its our fault we were born into their sick game. If we wanted to save the earth we could protest these major monopolies but we as a society are too complacent and comfortable to step up. Climate change is probably causing hurricanes and other storms to increase and size and severity as well.

• I think that the climate chnage gets used by people way to much because we vring in fossil's and that makes fuel. So that's another reason why i think that

• I think that climate change is a problem And it keeps getting worse then it was, so i think it needs to get dealed with before things get worse than they already are.

• I think that climate change is an issue that will just keep growing and it needs to be dealt with. I think a main way of trying to beat climate change would have to be using less fossil fuels because when we burn fossil fuels it just causes more issues. Hurricane Helene could be connected to climate change but it also is just common for hurricanes to happen

• I think that climate change is very real and a serious issue. I think that humans affect climate change because of our daily usage of burning fossil fuels. And I feel that there are ways we can help prevent it. We have to minimize waste by recycling items and reuse them instead of throwing them away. And we have to fix transportation, because that is a big issue, and use renewable energy 

• I agree with this because poeple have used a lot of buring fossil fuels and thats hurting the climate change the most. I tink we should try harder to stop throwing trash outside and into the ocean. I feel like we also have to fix the transportation because some products just get throw into the ocean, to stop this we should start to build bigger and better ships.

• I think that climate change is real. I also think a solution to help climate change is if the community works together. Sometimes we can be impacted by many things like storms that are killing many people and animals. One of those storms being Hurricane Helene which has killed so many people already with the number still rising.

• I think that climate change is real but it is natural and humans aren't really changing the pattern of the Earth's weather. You can't stop climate change becuase it happened even before the industial revolution, there were ice ages and the climate changed. I believe that hurricane Helene is terrible but not preventable because hurricanes naturally happen. 

• While it is true that climate hcange happens naturally, and was happening before the 1900's, I have to disagree with you. Since the industrial revolution, climate change severity has skyrocketed at a rate that is far faster that what's "natural." And yes, hurricane Helene was most likely inevitable, but perhaps it wouldn't have been so severe. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker