Should Cell Phones Be Banned?

Schools are starting to ban cell phones because they are becoming a big problem for schools, according to studies by KFF, and CBS News. This debate is starting to get more and more popular each day. Educators around the country say, "students are less focused than ever," (Most, 2023). Schools have been looking into banning phones for more than 30 years. In 1989, Maryland passed a law that banned taking pagers and "cellular phones" to school. Students who violate this could face fines and jail time. In the 1990s, more and more students brought their phones to school. Some school districts made bans to remove devices that were distracting in class. After the Columbine and 9/11 attacks, schools decided to unban phones to contact their parent in case there was an emergency. The ban managed to make its return in the 2010s due to popular social media apps like Facebook taking arise. 90% of schools prohibited phone usage during school hours. Some students lived in low-income families. Those who couldn't buy a laptop for school used their phone. This caused some school to rethink their decision. By 2016 only 2/3 of schools had bans which is still a lot. But since then the reason schools want to push the rule further is because of cyberbullying. And the constant use of social media in school has made more schools consider this ban.

Some people think that cell phones should be banned, and some don't think they should be banned. Statistics show that it's the mental health that causes the ban. And because we aren't paying attention to the teacher.  The UNESCO report was posted on the Washington Post. "School should ban smartphones. Parents should help." This one quote that stood out to me. "Students need to learn the risks and opportunities that come with technology, develop critical skills, and understand how to live with and without technology," UNESCO said. Unlike them, the U.N. Agency stated that exposure to digital cell phones helps students understand and develop critical parts of emerging technology.

My opinion on this debate is we should have our phones in school. In case an emergency were to happen, our safety is being able to contact our parents from whatever. Cell phones have proven to upgrade a student's academic learning. Phones have tools that are not available to everyone. They can improve the idea of creativity. Those are the reasons I want them to be in school, but in some cases where I would be fine if the schools got rid of phones if we just paid attention to our phones. And not to the teacher giving the lesson. Or if there were cases of cyberbullying being made. And we lose the sense to communicate with each other on one or when we are to be in a group. But we also need to look at our mental health and how it's affected by it or how our attention span is decreasing. Computer scientists who studied attention spans say over the last 20 years we are down to 8 seconds. 20 years ago we used to have an attention span of 2 minutes to around 45 seconds. 

Do you think they should ban cell phones?

Should teachers be allowed to take away our phones?

Do you think that students pay more attention to phones than to the teachers?

Sources:

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree because we should be able to have our phones in the classrooms with up because of emgency reasons. If we need to evacuate and we didn't have phones on us, our parents wouldn't ever know that we were in trouble. I also agree teachers do have the right to take out phones if it is hindering our learning. 

•  Cellphones can be used to cheat during exams or assignments through text messages, internet searches, and hidden notes. Banning them can help maintain academic integrity.Cell phones are a distraction in the classroom, but by eliminating them,you futher create a bad relationship  Let kids keep their phones but set up clear boundaries with rewards for those doing well.

• I believe that phones should be allowed in highschool but if a teacher want to restrict you from haveing them or using them they should be able to because is someone is failing a class they should be able to take it til the end of the class so they learn and pass the class.

• I agree phones should be allowed in school but if something were to happen in class causing them to get taken away they should take it until the class is over. Either way phones help out a lot in school and don't cause a distraction most of the time. 

• I do not htink that cell phones should be banned from all schools. I do beileve that if the cell phone becomes a problem and is disrupting the users or the people surrording the user learning then it should be taken. When I student is on their phone in class I do think that they pay more attention to them then the teacher. 

• Do you think cell phones should be banned? I don't think cell phones should be banned for many reasons. The best reason for cellphones in my opions is to contact or call people. For example if they ban them in schools the students will not be able to contact the police as easy in the case of a school shooting. Also some kids might have a change of plans and they need to contact their parents that would also be alot more diffacult.

• I agree with that comment, our saftey should be the school's top priority and being with our phones and being able to contact anyone in case of an emergency is important. Any type of change happening throughout the day wouldn't be easy to communicate if phones were banned from school. 

• Thanks, I agree with the schools top priority shlould be to keep us safe and it would be difficult without any type of cellphone and would be hard to contact anyone incase of a emergancy.

• I think that school's should be unable to ban cell phones. Restricing usage during class is alright, but phones are so deeply embedded into our modern day that it would be impractical to take them away. Students need a locker or a pouch in their bag to keep their phones in, so that they are always paying attention to their teachers.

• I agree with you and how students shouldn't have their phones during learning times but shouldn't have them fully banned and taken away. We truly have technology built into our lives to stay so taking it away would be unhelpful. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker