Baptism Turns into Funeral

On September 19 a magnitude 7.1 earthquake shook Mexico. At the time there was a baptism at the heart of the quake. The church crumbled around the congregation and killed 6 people, except for the father of the child being baptized the entire family is gone. The town is coming together through the rubble and together burying the family along with 5 others that were in the destruction. Friends are lining the streets and carrying the elaborately designed caskets, because of the destruction they are forced to wear everyday clothes. Much of the town is coming to the funeral to support the father in his loss.

If you were in the church while this was happening what would you do?

~I would try to get into a doorway or under a church pew because that way at least the debris wont hurt me as much.

Do you think that some religions will try to make this against the church or do you think many will help them?

~I think that some religions, especially in the middle east will try to say that the church was being 'punished' because they aren't part of their religion. I think that these religions will either try to scare people into joining or other churches are going to send things to them like people are doing to Huston and Florida. 

Link to article

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would try to keep the family safe first, then myself.  I do agree with you, some religions would think their god(s) are sending a message to the world saying they had done something good or bad according to their laws or rules to the religion.

• I would be really scared and I would try to get somewhere that is a little bit safer. I think many will help them because if they were in the situation they would want others to help them to.

• I would do what ever you were supposed to do when an earthquake happens. I think that it could go both ways because some might think that it is against the religion and they deserved it. But I also think that some will help because it is a bad thing that happend

• 1. I would try my hardest to survive and just get out alive.

2. I would think that the church community would come together and help this grieving man in his hard time.

• I think that in the case where I would be in the church I would probably, to be honest, take cover for my selfish self before trying to warn others to do the same or to get out of the building. But I defiantly would try to make sure others were safe to. I'm not a horrible person. As for the religion, there will be those who do believe that the church was being punished but I still think that most people would help in this scenario. This is a case where differences can be set aside even if not everyone can cooperate with the situation. I can see people going either way with their decision.

• I would try to avoid as much debris as a can and just try to stay safe and survive, then I would try to protect and save as many people as I can.  I don't think people will try to blame the church or religion just because this is obviously a natural disaster and cant be blamed on anything.

• If I were in the church when this occurred I would try to help as many people as possible at first, and then help myself. I do not think that they will turn the earthquake against the church.. They had no idea that there was going to be an earthquake, so that is most definitely not their fault.  

• I would go underneath something to keep me safe because I don't want to get smashed by the debris above me or around me. I think some of the religions will help them because there was a lot of people in that church and some of the friends to  the people that go to that church will help them out and also their church community.

• I would try to take shelter and protect myself and others from the crashing building. I think based on the religion, some will help and some will say they did something and the church was being punished for it.

• I would leave as soon as possible, since that church is a litter old and although I looked for a safe place inside I would die. Obviously the other churches will be there to help, in Mexico and in all Latin America the churches although they are different religion, they help each other, because they praise the same God.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker