There is one study going out saying that if schools started classes later it would save money. Most school in the US start no later than 8:30. According to this study only 18 percent of school start classes at 8:30 or later. The body of middle school aged students and above are used to going to bed late, and then in return getting up late. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that student of middle school age and above get at least 8 1/2 hours of sleep. One study has shown that lack of sleep can cause poor health, bad academic performances, and even criminal activity. One of the authors of this study says that this later start time would make money in as little as two years. Most of the money coming from better academic scores, and less car crashes. Teenagers tend to be very tired in the morning which means they are more likely to get into a car accident. This study says by starting classes later teens will not have as many car accidents. The only issue found with this study was that schools would have to hire more buses with more bus drivers. Some schools would also have to install lights for sport fields because of practice being later in the day.

Find the full story here.

Questions: Would you like this rule applied to out school? Why or Why not?

Would later practice times be beneficial or not beneficial for peoples schedules?

My Answers:

I think that the rule would be great for our school. There are lots of people who are tardy to school just because they don't have time in the morning.

I think that later practice schedules would be better because when you practice right after school parents can't always come get you right away. You have to sit and wait for someone to come and get you

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would like this rule to be applied to our school because I think its great and I would feel way better going to school later because then I would feel refreshed and ready to take on the day rather then being tired and wanting to sleep all day. I feel that having late practice would be a scheduling problem but I think people would just start to get used to it and accept it.

• I think that this rule would be very benificial to our school because a lot of the time students have practices or games after school and don't get home until late. And this means that they stay up late at night finishing homework and studying for test the next day. If the students were to sleep in later we would be more focused and do better in school. The only downside to having late practices is that by that time of the day the students are tired and want to go home. Plus it is around supper time which is never a good time to be athletic and the kids would just be crabby. 

• Yes, because this would allow for more time to sleep in and it seems to have many benefits! I would like practice to be as early as possible but it would only alter by about 30 minutes at most.

• I agree with your thoughts too. I think that more time to sleep would be great for those you have to drive quite a ways to get to school, ad if you have lots of homework one night then you have more time to sleep.

• I am not sure if I would like this rule applied to our school because if school will end later you won't really have time to do something through the rest of the day.

• I agree and disagree with your statement. Many kids complain about getting up early for school, but then they are constantly gone after school and that is the students fault. I think that there would be less time after school, but there would still be some time.

• I would like this rule to be applied to our school because then not as many people would be tardy and they would be able to pay attention better in class. I know that sometimes in the morning, it can be hard to stay awake during classes, so it might be able to help students in that aspect. As for later practices, I don't think it would be a really good thing because some people have jobs to get to or be at home by a certain time.

• Yes, I would like having a later start at our school. I feel like there would be less people showing up late and actually paying attention. I don't thick later practice times would be beneficial because some people have jobs to get to after practice. Also students would have less time to do their homework because of getting home later. Some people tend to lose focus the later it gets and then do poorly on the work.  

• I honestly would like this rule applied to our school but for me I have early morning band at 7AM so this would not help me very much until the winter time. This is good for safety and driving especially in the winter time weather. People do need there sleep and I know I certainly go to bed way after than I used to since I started middle school. This would be beneficial to the students except the fact that we may go later but probably not because our school runs on hours. 

• My view were just like yours. I think that 7am is way to early for some kids to get to school. I personally live over 15 miles away so I have about a 20 minute drive to school, so that means I have to leave very early in the mornings.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker