Worlds larges Cyber Attack takes place over weekend

I international cyber attack took place over the weekend affecting multiple countries. Ransomware is the biggest cyber attack in history and it's not over yet. Ransomeware works by locking people out of there computers and the only way to get back in is to pay by bitcoin. Once you pay the ransom the bitcoins go to the hackers. If you don't pay the ransom within a specific time, you are permanently locked out of your computer and all the files on the computer are released and deleted. The virus has affected over 200,000 people in 150 different countries.

Read more here

Questions-

What do you think the punishment for this crime for this should be?

What would you do if the virus attacked your computer?

Response-

I think that the hackers that did this should have life in prison since this is a international crime that has affected hundreds of thousands of people. As far as what I would do if my computer was attacked, I would most likely pay the ransom then once this is all solved, see if I can get my money back.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with Fay, these attacks usually are planned out because the people doing this are usually very intelligent people. Most cyber attackers are smart enough to cover their tracks and finding the source of hacking is harder than one might think. 

• If the virus affected my school computer I would probably go to the tech room and try and get a loner since I dont really have any files on this one. I would definitely not pay the ransom with the computer I have right now.

• Our school computers are kinda worthless at this point in the school year! I wouldn't pay the ransom for my school laptop, and just go to the tech lab for advice. I think it would be quite pointless to pay a ransom for our laptops when summer is right around the corner and we won't have or need our laptops.

• I think with all the victims that have been attacked by this they should definitely serve a lifetime in jail! If they were ever released from prison they are hackers and would be able to pull something off like this again easily probably.

• I agree completely, it's like setting Saddam Hussein free in the middle of the Vatican, problems are bound to occur

• i really dont know maybe like a full life sentence in jail or maybe death but i wouldn't know how to caught the people who are doing the hacking. I would pay the ransom because that's stupid and and probs just get rid of my computer and after the cyber attack is done go buy a new computer and make not to click on web you dont know. 

• It will definitely be hard to find the people who did the hacking. People who hack are very intelligent and usually cover their tracks well. If you pay the ransom it is unlikely you will get your money back. Everyone should back up their files or not do stupid stuff on their technology! 

• Should be life in prison since it affected the whole world. I don't know what I would do if it was my computer.

• I feel that this punishment is just like a crime they need to be in jail for a while this is not okay people around the world need to be alarmed that there are things like this and that they should not just pay forward. Even though it is not okay and they might loose their stuff I would feel better knowing that there money was going to a scammer.

• You say that people shouldn't be worried, but must I remind you that is what people said about anonymous and then they took down much of the global banking systems.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker