Tropical Storm Harvey Hits Texas

Early today and yesterday a category 1 storm hit Texas. The storm has devastated many parts of Texas and is said to continue causing damage well into the next few days. Many houses have been toppled and flooding is wreaking havoc among people. Officials have warned people to leave the areas immediately and many have already left. One official told the people who planned to stay in the area that they should "write their social security numbers on their arms" for easy identification of the bodies. There are more than 1,000 workers currently trying to help out. The storm has sustained winds of more than 70 mph, but during the storm it is said the winds were up to 140 mph. It is said that more than 40 inches of rain are supposed to hit through Wednesday. Officials have said that certain areas could be effected for months to come. This is one of the worst storms since Katrina.

Does this event effect you personally? Do you have any family/friends in Texas?

Would you have stayed in Texas? Why or why not?

I have several close friends in Texas, some of which have actually evacuated. I'm a bit worried for the ones that stayed in the area and I am worried for their homes. I would not have stayed in Texas because I wouldn't want to be injured.

Full story

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes I agree they need more volunteers! Do you think you would ever volunteer for something like this? I think I would be too worried for my safety.

• No, it doesn't affect me personally, and no I don't have any family and friends that live in Texas, but it is still devastating and awful, so I do feel bad. Whether or not I stayed in Texas would depend on how long I had lived there and how many of my friends and family lived there.

• I think I would be scared to stay even if my friends and family were all there. I would want them to get out too! Do you think you would stay if the storm was supposed to go directly over you?

• This does not affect me personally because I have no family or friends in Texas, but it's still a terrible situation. I wish that I could help them. No, I would not have stayed in Texas because I wouldn't want to risk my life or the life of my family.

• 1. I have some connections with Texas. First, my dad has a friend who owns a bunch of land in Texas, but not directly in the path of Harvey. Second, I've been to Texas before and hunted animals there, and I have fond memories of the trip. Third, my mom lived in Houston for eighteen months. To hear that the place has been swallowed by the ocean is sad and frightening. It makes me grateful I live inland and not near any coasts where hurricanes can destroy my home.

2. If I heard a hurricane was coming, I wouldn't stick around. I would probably go visit some family that live elsewhere and stay there until the hurricane passes. 

• A lot of peoples houses were completely ruined. If someone evacuated the area they probably would still not be able to come back for a long time and it's sad. It sounds like you have a lot of good memories of Texas. Do you think your ideas/ memories would be changed after this?

1. It’s horrible to hear of all these huge natural disasters like storms and hurricanes, especially when they are not far away like Texas. I feel sorry for all those living in Texas, in particular Houston, and I hope that their houses and their life in general are not destroyed.
    2. A friend who lives in Katy, Texas, which is just 40 minutes away from Houston, told me about the catastrophic floods in Houston. Luckily Storm Harvey didn’t hit her town. 
    • It is awfully close to us! It's sort of scary to think about. It's good that it didn't hit her town. Did she have any other damage? I hear a lot of people have flooding even if they didn't get directly hit by the storm.

• 1. On a family/friend based level, it does not. Technically it's not totally personal to me but this is an event that is occurring in the nation that we live in. Therefore, I care about the people and the families that it is affecting. On a personal level, I wish I could help and I know people whose families are down there and I wish I could help.

2. Definitely not because as this is a very dangerous occurrence, I wouldn't want to risk my families lives. There's a reason that there is authority to help them and guide them out of the area. I would definitely pack and move as quick as possible and keep my family safe.

• I agree with you! I would leave too because I would be scared for my loved ones. Many people don't know how to help especially at our age because it's not typically realistic for kids to miss school to help cleanup. Would you donate or go down there if you could?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker