Tropical Storm Harvey Hits Texas

Early today and yesterday a category 1 storm hit Texas. The storm has devastated many parts of Texas and is said to continue causing damage well into the next few days. Many houses have been toppled and flooding is wreaking havoc among people. Officials have warned people to leave the areas immediately and many have already left. One official told the people who planned to stay in the area that they should "write their social security numbers on their arms" for easy identification of the bodies. There are more than 1,000 workers currently trying to help out. The storm has sustained winds of more than 70 mph, but during the storm it is said the winds were up to 140 mph. It is said that more than 40 inches of rain are supposed to hit through Wednesday. Officials have said that certain areas could be effected for months to come. This is one of the worst storms since Katrina.

Does this event effect you personally? Do you have any family/friends in Texas?

Would you have stayed in Texas? Why or why not?

I have several close friends in Texas, some of which have actually evacuated. I'm a bit worried for the ones that stayed in the area and I am worried for their homes. I would not have stayed in Texas because I wouldn't want to be injured.

Full story

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My aunt and her family live in Texas, and I know that they stayed. The storm sounds terrible and if it were me, I would probably leave, just to be safe. However, I understand why people wouldn't want to; they don't want to leave their home, their belongings, their memories, other family, etc.., BUT, none of those things matter if you don't live....

• I agree! That's really scary. I don't think I could stay in that situation. I would definitely leave as soon as possible. I hope they're okay and safe and I hope the damage isn't too bad.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker